Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I grow cabbage next to tomatoes?

Posted by southerntransplant Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 21:10

This is my first year to try square foot gardening. Based on some of the diagrams in the square foot gardening book, it looks like you can grow cabbage next to tomatoes. However, I've read elsewhere that cabbage (including kohlrabi) should NOT be grown next to tomatoes. Is this true? and if so, how far apart should cabbage/kohlrabi be grown from tomatoes? Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I grow cabbage next to tomatoes?

You can grow whatever you want wherever you want. As long as the cabbage isn't shaded by the tomatoes, you'll be fine.

o

A link to where it says you can't would be useful to help you sort this out.

o

I disagree with homertherat. Sorry. This is companion planting, and some plants don't fare well next to one another.

I would google "Companion planting" and specifically, brassicas and tomatoes. I do believe that there is an issue with kohlrabi and tomatoes, and cabbage are related to them...I wouldn't plant them too close, BUT at the same time, the cabbage will be removed before the tomatoes roots really get a chance to spread. BUT, the problem is supposed to be stunted root growth, and since in SFG the roots are already limited in space, you may not want to chance it.

o

It depends on which website/book you read. I just Googled "companion planting" and got about equal opinions. Some said cabbage shouldn't be planted with tomatoes, some said cabbage and tomatoes were excellent companions. I planted some leftover cabbage seedlings in my tomato bed this year, as I didn't have anywhere else to put them. I guess we'll see if they are compatible or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

My ref is Riotte's Carrots Love Tomatoes 2nd Ed. She says cabbage dislikes toms and like aromatic herbs (pg 8) and tomatoes and brassicas repel each other & should be kept apart (pp 25-26). For many years I have planted carrots and marigolds and garlic with toms.

Dan

o

Here are the first four hits I get from Google that actually name the companion plants. The first two say no (with an exception on No Dig), the second two say yes.

Golden Harvest Organics: http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html
Cabbage does not get along with strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, rue, grapes and pole beans.
Keep potatoes and tomatoes apart as they both can get early and late blight contaminating each other. Keep cabbage and cauliflower away from them.
One drawback with tomatoes and carrots: tomato plants can stunt the growth of your carrots but the carrots will still be of good flavor.

No Dig: http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/companion-planting.html
According to this website, cabbage dislikes tomatoes, but tomatoes don't necessarily dislike cabbage.

Organic Gardening: http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s-2-10-108,00.html
Tomatoes and cabbage (as companion plants): Tomatoes are repellent to diamondback moth larvae, which are caterpillars that chew large holes in cabbage leaves.

Garden Guides: http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/vcomp.asp
Cabbage Family companions are bush beans, beets, celery, onions, tomato, all strong herbs, marigold, nasturtium
Tomato companions are cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, mint

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

Riotte has never steered me wrong. That is my ref for companion plants.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here