Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Patty Pan be trained up through a Tomato Cage?

Posted by kristimama SFEastBay Zn 9/SS14 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 21:24

Hey All,
I'm wondering if any of you have tried (or seen photos) of a patty pan squash on a tomato cage? I'm trying to get "just one more" into the space and was wondering if I could train a patty pan into an inverted tomato cage.

Thanks,
K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Patty Pan be trained up through a Tomato Cage?

There is absolutely no way, it is not a vining crop. I grew patty-pans 2 years ago and they were wonderful to eat. I planted it at the corner of a 4 x 4 bed hoping that it would take up less space of my bed since some would be overlapping the sides. That plant could have easily taken up 8 square feet. If you have seen an older version of Mel's book with a picture of a butternut squash in a bed, that is about how big that plant was.

o
RE: Can Patty Pan be trained up through a Tomato Cage?

I tried a zuch that way once. It didn't work out. The weight of the leaves would bend the hollow stems down over the wire of the tomatoe cage and that cut off circulation to the leaf, which then died. This caused the plant to struggle and I got like 2 zuch's total from it all summer. Bad plan. Abort, Abort!

I plant my summer squash in the center of 4 square feet (2x2)and let them trail over the side of the raised bed. Snibb, a poster to this sight has had luck training them up a single stake. I believe a metal fence post is used and a jump rope or equivelent thickness cord is used to tie up the central stem of the squash plant as it grows, knotting every 8 inches up or so. With this method, Snibb only gives it one square foot of space, but I think other shorter plants are located in the surrounding squares.

Hope that helps!
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here