Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do you treat the wood sides

Posted by ericderek 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 21:30

I am in the process of making a few raised beds. I grabbed a bunch of lumber from Home Depot last week and built to beds. I am going to do 2-3 more, but need to have an oil tank pulled out of the ground where the others are going. (Being done next weekend.)

Anyway, I was thinking about how the wood is currently untreated. Water, dirt, rain, bugs, etc. will ultimately destroy the wood I am using.

So, is there any SAFE treatment I can do to the wood that might help it last a little longer? Water proofing, stain, polyurethane?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do you treat the wood sides

I coated mine liberally with linseed oil.

o

I also used linseed oil. This is what Mel recommends in his book. He also says "Its also possible to paint or stain the bottom, outside and top. Leave the inside unpainted so there's no possible contamination to the growing mix."

o

I'm new to this site and SFG. I just put my boxes together today and was out here looking for cheap vermiculite when I saw your post.
You might be interested in an agriculturally based oil stain called Timber Ox Green. Their site is http://www.timberoxgreen.com/index.php.
The only thing I'm not sure of is if you have to let the wood weather for a year before staining it. I heard that on some home improvement show this week. I need to call them and ask.
I'm very confident in the quality and manufacturing of the stain and the reputability of the company. If you ever have a question or problem, you can call them.
Hope that helps! I'm sure I'll be reading more from all of you soon! Thanks for being here!!! :)
-E

Here is a link that might be useful: Timber Ox Green - Home Page

o

We just set ours up-after coating it veeerrryyy liberally with linseed oil. Works great,smells great,looks great (and was actually a very zen thing to do;).

I've already volunteered to do the next one!!

o

I dont. I prefer them naked. Also gives it a rustic look after a year of weathering. They're holding up fine. dont have to worry about contamination.

o

I don't treat mine either. I painted the 1st couple I made before I found out about SFG. Then made many more with untreated pine which are now 8y/o and counting. So I don't see the point in bothering or the extra expense.

But I also wouldn't staple plastic to the wood either cuz that will trap in the moisture and likely rot faster. Flip them over so the contact with the soil is minimal. If you want you could flip both spring and fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here