Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mel's Mix vs. Lasagna Method

Posted by greenwood85 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 22:18

One is free, so obviously I'm leaning towards it. My question is: Is the lasagna method just as effective as Mel's Mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mel's Mix vs. Lasagna Method

I'm curious about that too... I want to try this method, but don't really know how to start it up. Mel's mix is doing great for me so far.

o

It all depends on what you make your lasagna with. I'm partial to the artery clogging meats... Oh wait wrong lasagna, but you get the idea. If the same quality compost is used to make Mel's as it was to do the lasagna (composting in place), then your only issues are drainage and water retention. If those aren't of concern where you live, do whatever. You can always work in some vermiculite later.

Oh, another potential issue is when you want to plant. With Mel's it's ready day 1. I'm not sure how long you have to decompose your lasagna before planting.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

o

I don't have any problem waiting. I'm actually already thinking ahead to NEXT year. I'm just wondering if the Lasagna method is effective for SFG. Anyone try it successfully? I suppose I could top my composted bed with vermiculite and peat in the spring but I'm wondering if that is necessary. The "Lasagna" ingredients will be rotten veggies, fall leaves, grass clippings, straw, UCGs, and some homemade compost.

o

My beds are filled "lasagna-style". I used very aged manure (came with lots of nice healthy worm-friends for my garden too), leaves, pine needles, coffee grounds, some dusty chicken manure of unknown age (over 6 months old though) and some dirt (not topsoil) for gee whiz and some mineral content. I planted in it about 2 weeks later and it did fine. It did shrink down by about 1/3 I think over the summer. I filled some of my new beds in the fall and I've topped them off a couple times. Hopefully, they won't shrink down too far this summer. I also put a layer of straw "flakes" (sections of the bale) a couple inches thick, over the tops of the beds. I think it helped the materials break down a little better. I'm hoping to be able to plant through the straw and leave it as mulch. We'll see if that works out...

If you'd like to see pictures, check out the posts from January (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here