Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowraine

What to plant?

lowraine
15 years ago

For us new folk would some of you please give us some ideas as to what you would plant? I have (4) 4' x 4' boxes, (2) 15" x 4' boxes, and (1) 2' x 2' box and (1) 8' x 15" box. The 2x2 and the 8' x 15" boxes are on the north side and I plan to use those for running plants. Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and melons. The other boxes are up for anything. Can I plant broccoli, and spinach now? Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (4)

• lowraine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What was I thinking? I have this information in my sfg book. For those who don't have the book, this question could be helpful.

• homertherat
    15 years ago

Haha, yeah I was gonna say to check the book. I just went down to the feed store and they had a pretty display of seed packages and I just grabbed what I thought would be fun to grow. I even found a package of purple carrots... Well see how that goes.
    I'm doing mine just for fun and to try out this method, but just what you like to eat is what you should mainly be growing. There's no sense in wasting a plot with something you don't want to eat :)

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

I agree that you should plant what you think you'll eat, but make sure you plant some things that are EASY to grow. When I first started, I planted radishes, even though they aren't my absolute favorite. They were amazingly good, though, probably because I grew them myself.

I've also had good luck with leaf lettuce, beets, green beans (specifically Kentucky Wonder bush beans), and, of course, tomatoes. Green Onions are really easy to grow as well, IME.

I did like Homer, went to the store and stood in front of the seed packet display going "hmmm, that looks good". I didn't spend tons of time trying to figure out what would be easy or hard, just bought what I wanted to try. Some succeeded, others failed. No harm, no foul, for now. It's all about learning and enjoying this hobby.

• lowraine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I picked out several packages of seed, knowing I would enjoy eating them if they chose to come up and do well. I haven't been able to make my husband understand peat moss and compost but he was willing to go to Lowes's today and spend the money, he even helped fill two beds because he found strawberry plants, one gerber daisy, and two tomato plants. I now have his interest. Of course we all know who will be tending the garden, just want him in his lawn chair under the shade tree keeping me company. Thanks guys, this is going to be run.