Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adoptioncounts

Intro and questions about lettuce and corn

adoptioncounts
13 years ago

Hello, I'm new here and though I've attempted gardening before and my whole family are crop farmers, I can't say I've ever been very successful. Needless to say, I was excited when I discovered SFG although I have limited knowledge.

I built four 4x4 boxes and one 2x8 box. They are almost 18 inches deep with a fabric weed barrier underneath the soil. (I hope that's okay..) The soil itself is about 15 inches deep. (Is this deep enough?)

So, about lettuce. I got plants from Lowes whose leaves were already quite large (4-6 inches) and when I planted them I went ahead and harvested those leaves about an inch above the soil. Now I'm wondering if I should have done that. How big does leaf lettuce get before you harvest some? How long does it keep coming back? It is buttercrisp I believe but now it's dark and I don't want to go out to look.

Secondly, how much sweet corn could I plant in the 2x8 box? Would it be worth the trouble? I was thinking you only get one ear per stalk per year but I can't remember and I'm too embarrassed to ask a family member. (Insert sheepish grin.)

I have never done a garden that actually worked and though I've been reading more general gardening books all winter, all the knowledge is now a blur in my head. This seems much easier to deal with than a typical garden though so I'm hopeful. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments (2)