Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

excited to share my 1st SFG (pix)

huango
15 years ago

Hi,

I just planted the first seeds in my SFG.

Here's my "box" made from free bricks.

So I first lined the bottom of the box with newspaper (free) to prevent weeds.

Next layer is 1" chicken wire to prevent the gopher, etc.

Then the layer of black weed-block cloth (free).

Then MelÂs mix.

The grids are made from the top row of the orange plastic netting (free); I didnÂt want material that would rot.

So far IÂve planted:

- 2 sq. mixed lettuce

- 2 sq. Baby carrots

- 1 sq. spinach

Then topped off w/ MelÂs cage to keep out the rabbits, deers, squirrels, my dog and 2 children.

What do you think?

IÂm pretty happy with how it all turned out. :)

Amanda

Comments (10)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Amanda - I think it looks great, and very creative! I bet it took alot of time getting the bricks level, too.

EG

• rlkennerly
    15 years ago

good job! I'm super impressed you got so much for free! Good luck keeping the kids out! :)

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

• homertherat
    15 years ago

You should nail or staple the grid down, so those bricks aren't in your way when you're working in the garden.

Looks good for being so cheap though.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

Amanda - it looks very nice. Good luck with your garden.

Kym

• dhomoney
    15 years ago

Great job Amanda. It is nice you go so much free. Best of luck.

• huango
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the nice words.

So the box is from the engineering side of me. Let's see if there's a gardener in there also. I'm not sure about that because my tomato seedlings are pretty sad looking...

I had some difficulty creating the box w/ the bricks. I've looked everywhere online for examples, but I couldn't find any. Either the files were missing or the search came up w/ bricks for the walk-ways.

I had to build it several times because the previous designs would be too weak (bricks would fall over, etc) or didn't line up correctly. Then when I was done, I had to rip it up again, because I didn't like how the ground (from the mulch) was sloped. So I even out the mulch and re-built the brick box ("brox").

Mel's message is about using what you have...so when I said FREE, that means I already had it on hand and didn't have to purchase them like I had to purchase the chicken wire and the vermiculite, etc.

Thanks for the idea about nailing down the grids. I'll tie them down to the base chicken wire. Right now, the cage is sitting on the grid edges nicely.

Now I'm waiting for the snap peas, which I have sitting on wet paper towels.
    And getting ready to harden off the tomato seedlings.

stay tune...

:)

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

I like it that the grids are removeable. I take mine off once everything is planted since I don't always use the sfg spacings. It then just looks nice and neat when I take off the grid. You can even store yours and pull it out when you need to plant again!

• rstoufflet
    15 years ago

i started some raised beds this year and would like to share some photos, can someone tell me how to do this!

• randita
    15 years ago

Check photobucket.com. Create an account (free). Put your digital pictures on your desktop. Where it says Upload Pictures and Video, click Choose Files, photobucket will browse to find them, select them and they will be uploaded to photobucket. Then you have to "copy" the HTML Code of the photo underneath the photo (starts with

• huango
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay: my lettuce has sprouted!
    I planted ~3 seeds per hole, so I have to thin them out tomorrow.

I love SFG: 2 little things are growing in 2 squares that I have not planted in, so they are weeds for sure. I'm plucking them before their roots get any bigger.

I'm hoping the snap peas sprout soon.
    I had germinated them between 2 wet paper towels, and planted them when their little "tails" opened up. That was 4 days ago.

Amanda

Sponsored