Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smwester

HELP...wondering if I should plant?

smwester
15 years ago

We are having quite an infestation of what I think are eastern tent caterpillars. They are leaving the trees and are in our yard unfortunately in large numbers right where I have laid down our SFG beds. I have also noticed them in our knock out rose bushes and some other bushes in our landscape. This is my first SFG and I am afraid to plant the tomato, bell pepper, and strawberry plants that I bought this weekend because I am worried they will eat the leaves. I don't have a cage made yet and even if I do get a cage made I am wondering if it will keep out the caterpillars. I am just trying to get any suggestions of what I should do. Has anyone had any problems with these or other caterpillars before? How long do the caterpillars stay? Should I try to get a spray or something to help get rid of them? Should I wait to plant the plants I bought from the store, but go ahead and put the seeds in the beds? ....Any info/insight would be appreciated. I am so bummed about this because I am so ready to plant, but don't want my efforts to be in vain!

Comments (4)