Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

What's the weirdest container you've planted in?

engineeredgarden
15 years ago

My current summer garden plan only allows me to plant 20 squares of sweet corn, and I'm contemplating my options for growing more. It will have to be a large container of some kind, and I'd like to hear anyone else's experiences with "growing outside the box". Any takers?

EG

Comments (18)

• jganyard
    15 years ago

In Mother Earth News I read an article about instant raised beds...

Take your bag of store-bought growing medium (whatever you choose) and lay it down. On the underside poke some drainage holes and then on the topside cut away the plastic leaving enough along the sides to contain the soil. Then you just plant right into it.

How many stalks do you plan to plant per sqft for corn?

• christyboulter
    15 years ago

You can use a store bought plastic swimming pool. Just spray paint the sides so it looks nicer, maybe cover the sides with rock or something. Drill holes in the bottom for drainage, then fill with soil.

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

I've threatened to use the man's amplifier/speaker cabinets if he doesn't start running sound professionally again soon.

Again, at this point we're only in the threat stage, but he knows I'll make good on it. At least it gave him the motivation to scrounge up a three day gig this weekend :)

• farmboy66
    15 years ago

christyboulter what an awesome idea,how many times have u seen these pools in yard sales for next to nothing,or stores trying to close them out late in the season ill try it.thanks

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I only plant my corn 1/sqft, and might try to grow a few in some of the earthtainer scrap pieces....
    The small swimming pool is an idea, but I would probably plant something else in one, if I had it. Talk about an instant garden, though!

The thing is....I have this municipal garbage can that has a broken wheel on it. I'm trying to figure out how best to utilize it's size/depth. Anybody got an idea?

EG

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

This one's a little unusual, I think. ;o)

{{gwi:3266}}

Al

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

EG, lay it on end and saw it in half and drill holes just like if you'd use a swimming pool....you'll have two planters that way!

Al, you win. That is certainly unusual. :)

• peel
    15 years ago

Cutting it in half would be my suggestion too.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

EG, if you have access to cheap non-toxic barrels, you could cut them in half like the trash can.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I'm going to make a planter out of a plastic milk box. I have all this periwinkle blue Fusion spray paint left over, and a packet of blue morning glory seeds. Thought I'd paint the box and line it with landscape fabric and fill it with morning glories.

I have all kinds of sun faded plastic pots. Fusion plastic paint holds up great outdoors. Too bad I can't find it in a terra cotta color!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

EG, Use that garbage can to grow taters! Plant them in a small amount of soil and add soil as the tater plants grow. I don't know if it works, but it's worth a try.

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, that's alot of ideas! Liisa, you have stimulated my brain....hee hee. Oh boy.....I'll be planting something in it for sure, now!

EG

• dapper
    15 years ago

I got it EG. I call it the raised bed container. Every Lowe's I have been in and that is all around Knoxville, east and west of Knoxville, and all the way down to Chattanooga and places in between, also in Kentucky have these 18 gal totes. They are $3.44 and made from recycled plastic. You could cut around 3 inches off the bottom and still have a small but 12" high raised bed. At the top they are 23" long by 17" wide. I bet you could get at least 6 corn plants in each one if not 8. Compared to the price of wood these make really cheap raised bed, and should last longer. I am gonna use straw as mulch in all of mine. I am going use mine for squash, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, watermelon, and cantalope. They will help me keep things more seperate and easier to care for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Whites Mill Farm

• gardencraze
    15 years ago

Hellow from beautiful sunny Orlando FL. I'm a newbie just signed up a couple a days ago. I'm loving this gardenwed! I'm using old galvanized wash tubs and buckets they are exellent for growing anything in. happy gardening!!

• engineeredgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dapper - I have three leftover pieces from the earthtainer construction, and I think i'll go ahead and use those for the corn. They are about 16" deep, and should work great. I figured out what to do with the old garbage can. Thanks to everybody for your ideas and comments...

EG

• jordan_californicus
    15 years ago

Okay Al, that's the first time I've ever "AWWww'd" out loud in response to a plant.

Okay, I lie. I do that to every little red clover seedling that managers to attempt to meek out an existence in my pots before I rip it out.

Also, the only weird thing I've used *yet* was an old pan my mom had. It's wide and shallow (I'd say, hmm, 26" by 6"?), metal but it's (glazed?) blue with white flecks on the side. Has a metal handle bar. No idea what it was used for, but still mostly shiny and was easy to put a few drainage holes in the bottom. Last year I tried to put a few Big Sky series echinaceas in it, but the red clover won that over, so I'm going to go with some annuals in it this year.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

..... you sure that 'little red clover' isn't Oxalis? ;o)

Al

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I think it's really cool, too, Al.
    I'm sorry to mix in another idea eg, but I'm thinking about using an old pc frame. I've heard there's an epidemic of old computer parts littering the landfills and I'm wondering if I could just line them with landscape material and put potting soil. I could only grow truly short root crops in them, but I think it would add interest to my wall o' swc's.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting