Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tos91

SFG Plan Layout Feedback Needed

tos91
12 years ago

New to gardening and decided to go the SFG route. I need some feedback regarding the layout of my vegetables. My box is 9' x 4'. After looking at the attached layout could I get some feedback about the following:

1. Approx. How high should my trellis be

2. I want to have this variety of veggies if possible, but I don't necessarily have to have 3 okra or 3 peppers or 3 carrots,etc. I could do with less if need be to benefit somewhere else in the garden. I could do without the radishes and carrots if I need to.

3. Location of my plants and what they are planted next to, I think this is referred to as companion planting.

4. Should the Okra be moved to the far NW corner and use the squares from top to bottom on the right side

5. Feel free to move the locations of plants and Trellis if need be, trellis might need to slide to top left corner as not to interfere with satellite dish.

6. I have noticed lots of people planting Marigolds, what's the benefit/need and where should I put them

7. Anything else you think would be better.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (12)

• tos91
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to attach the link to the plan layout.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tos91/

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden plan layout

• kiffany
    12 years ago

Hi,

Watermelon and cantaloup need to be on the trellis. If not, you will need a lot more ground room for them. Same with the cucumbers unless you are planting small bush types.

• steveinjersey
    12 years ago

Hello,

Okra are going to be bigger than 1x1 foot plants. Give them 2x2 or more spaces for each plant.
    Good Luck,
    Steve

• ribsyhuggins
    12 years ago

tos91 g back to drawing board you design is a waste and a mess.

• TLAT1270
    12 years ago

ribsyhuggins- your comments are the reasons alot of people will not post to this forum. you are not being helpful in any way.

• ribsyhuggins
    12 years ago

tlat1270 I call them as I see them.

• dennis_of_alabama
    12 years ago

ribsyhuggins Instead of being rude - how about offering some advice - thats what this forum is for - why are you here anyway? your so perfect you need no advice.

• ribsyhuggins
    12 years ago

I did offer advice on his plan. go back drawing board since his plan shows he did not even the book and method for planning using square foot guidelines. Or should I treat like child do it for him.

I was not being rude just honest.
    I am here to help people who want help but they need to learn basics first. Other wise it's like talking to wall.

• countrydaizy
    12 years ago

TOS91, I noticed in the bottom row you have cherry tomatoes within one square, however, depending on their variety, bush cherry tomatoes usually take up much more space than that, they will need up to 9 squares! Also as Steve noted, unless you grow your watermelon and cantaloupe up a trellis they are going to need LOTS and LOTS more space.

I would switch your cucumbers with your okra, so that your cucumbers (if they are vining cukes) can grow up a trellis and then extend your trellis farther over to accommodate for them.

The okra may be a little crowded but based on the sowing instructions for a packet of okra seeds, they are to be planted 3-4 seeds every 12" and then you thin those 3-4 seeds so that only the strongest one stands every 12", so I think 1 square each should be fine, and if you find that they are crowded after growing them, you can always space them out.

Also, planting tomatoes with carrots (bottom row, carrots + cherry tomato) can stunt the growth of your carrots, so I would recommend sliding the three carrots to the left, and taking your basil from the corner, and planting it between the carrots and the tomatoes as a single square separation, but also basil supposedly improves the taste and flavor of tomatoes!

hope this helps! :)

Lauren

p.s. RIBSY, your post was rather rude even if you were just offering advice. Constructive criticism is a lot more helpful than just criticism. Telling someone that their plan is a mess, and to go back to the drawing board, isn't very helpful. They post their plan here for advice on what is wrong with their plan, if anything. If you could instead point out some specific things that they should do differently, and politely inform them, that's much more helpful. Thanks!

• ribsyhuggins
    12 years ago

countrydaizy bush cherry tomatoes only need 4 squares and even then you can under plant them with small shallow rooted crops.

• tos91
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Risby � I put my plan on the forum for advice. I don't have Mel's book and If I knew a better layout I would have started with it. Thanks but no thanks on your advice or lack thereof.

Tlat1270, Dennis, and Countrydaizy, thanks for having my back and thanks for your tips.

I moved my okra around as well as the tomatoes (they are all together now). The cukes moved back to where they could be trellised. Thanks for the help.

• ribsyhuggins
    12 years ago

tos91 don't blame me that you did not read book first.
    also to many different plants in to small a space.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz