Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentouch_gw

Use of Preen to prep SFG - did I mess up?

greentouch
14 years ago

Hellos, all. I have gardened for 30 years, but this is the first SFG attempt. We recycled 8" wide decking boards into three 3'x6' beds and potentially one more 3'x12', plus, an antique horse watering tub that has lost its bottom. We will fence in the whole area when the exact size is set.

The area is so weedy and full sun, heavy clay soil, that we laid heavy cardboard around the bed areas, and mulched that with about 6" of shredded pine trees courtesy of the county. That should keep weeds out of pathways.

Then, I have hand tilled each bed about 4" deep and removed buckets and buckets of wild garlic and weeds. Essentially, the top 3 inches of soil went into the chicken pens to entertain the flock. I hope the eggs don't start tasting like onion or garlic.

Then, I put down Preen today to keep the weeds from coming on up again. (The next step is a heavy layer of newspaper in each bed, topped off with some version of Mel's mix to about 12" deep, including the 3 inches that was discarded. That will leave a few inches at the top of each bed for mulch around plants.)

A neighbor gardener told me today that the Preen was a mistake, in his opinion. He never used it when he was starting out. His entire garden is about 40 ft square and is made up of old tubs, old pottery containers, and big buckets. He grows enormous amounts of veg, herbs and flowers!! So, I almost believe him.

The Preen will be below the plant roots and below the newspaper. What do you think? Big mistake?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths