Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Poor drainage in raised beds

seedmama
13 years ago

Hello, I am posting this on behalf of a new friend. He built new raised beds this year and filled them with good, rich, quality topsoil. While this mixture would be great on a lawn, it is not draining well in a raised bed. Total removal is not feasible. I have suggested he read here for what to incorporate into the existing setup to improve drainage. Thanks for all suggestions.

Seedmama

Comments (5)

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

I have had good luck with a bed that was soil/compost that I mixed too heavy. With my soil it took about a quart of vermiculite to the square foot mixed into the top 4-5 inches to loosen it up for drainage. You could have your friend test that in a couple of square foot and see if it helps. You can buy bags of vermiculite at a big box store in the Insulation department very reasonably priced.

Curt#

• kr222
    13 years ago

Top soil is typically low in nutrients. I would have suggested compost, manure, and garden soil mixes whenever he needs to top off the beds in the future. If I were him I would add vermiculite or perlite to help aerate the soil. That will keep it from compacting. Some greenhouses carry large, 4 cubic foot bags of vermiculite...around $20. This is great for raised beds. If he has greenhouses nearby he could call around and see what they have available. The 4 cubic foot bag will be much cheaper than buying lots of small bags. The online store greenhousemegastore.com also sells the large bags with good shipping prices. That's where I bought mine.

Good luck to your friend! It's great that he's found such an interest in gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I suspect the mix wasn't incorporated into the native soil. Failure to do this sets up a perched water table and poor drainage. Very common mistake and easily fixable when all is harvested.

Dan

• livinginashoe
    13 years ago

What about adding earthworms to the beds to help create the pockets and holes do any of you think that will work?

• seedmama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for helping my new friend. Nothing encourages more gardening like a successful first year. Your guidance will really help my friend toward that end.

Gratefully,
    Seedmama

Sponsored