Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my spinach?

Posted by mizbel66 WA (My Page) on
Fri, May 1, 09 at 0:55

Good evening all....

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my spinach please? I thought it must have been some kind of bug and sprayed with a tomato/vegetable organic insecticide, but the leaves are all still yellowing and getting "holey".

I have other leafy veges right by the spinach and fear whatever it is, is spreading. Some info:

- Plants were grown from seed by me.
- Hardened off for 6 days before being planted out
- Weather has been a little chilly here, down to mid 30's at night, a little rain here and there but nothing too dramatic - just not alot of sun. Was sunny on the weekend they were planted out though.
- 4 x 4 boxes filled with Mel's mix.
- planted out on 4/5.
- haven't really grown much since they were planted out - plants are only about 4" tall at this point.

This is my first vege garden! I've upset my HOA a little with the garden in the front yard, but it's the only place we get sun! i really love my little garden :)

I've included some pictures - many thanks in advance for any advice.

Bel

Spinach leaf showing damage - 4/30/09

Something wrong with my spinach!

SFG on 4/21/09

Photobucket

SFG today, 4/30/09

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my spinach?

first, in a few years HOAs & their boards will stop being populated with little Hitlers and take the sticks out of their posteriors when they realize that the boring landscapes they want waste money and people vote in front-yard veggie gardens. [/rant]

Next, MM is, IMHO, not sufficient in nutrients the first year. The leaf foto and the necrosis on the lvs are not from bugs. It may be because you sprayed in the day and the leaves burned or the lvs croaked due to lack of nutrition. Either way I had trouble when I lived in Puget Sound area and I suspect the soil and maybe moisture in air is causing a fungal issue that the plants will fight off when they get big enough and get going when the sun comes out for good there. In the meantime I'd squirt with a liquid fertilizer with a decently high first number in the analysis.

Dan

o

Thank you for your reply Dan - it's been very wet here and a fungal problem makes sense. Hopefully the sun will come out soon to help things along.

Bel

o

Bel, check out my latest blog and see if your spinach looks like mine. Also, look on the bottom sides of some of the leaves and see if there are tiny white eggs.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Miners in Spinach

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here