Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mauirose_gw

I've heard of a tin roof but a tin raised bed?

mauirose
15 years ago

Was looking for an inexpensive, long lasting, material to make a raised bed from and came across this article. Couldn't find anything when i searched the site so not sure if this has been discussed b4?

{{gwi:27955}}

Thought maybe the metal posts could be replaced with PVC?

What do you all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Full article here

Comments (8)

• flatlander
    15 years ago

very cool. if you could find some tin off of an old barn it would really fit into a rustic design. pretty creative!

• mauirose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's an update.

Built this a few weeks ago, just finished filling it and planting last weekend. Used PVC instead of metal posts and didn't frame the top. couldn't find any old tin to recycle so i bought a few panels at HD. Three panels cut in half will make 2 4x8 beds about 12" high. Drilled some holes in the metal to string my grid. I really like it so far, seems sturdy enough.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that looks pretty awesome!! i really like it, but i'd be afraid of getting cut, so be careful, those edges are pretty sharp as you probably already found out. LOL well not "sharp" but can be if put in the sliding position. LOL i slid my hand and got cut!! OUCH!!! but i do love the look!! ~Medo

• carolynp
    15 years ago

That looks gorgeous!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I like that look a lot, too! Great job on that bed. It's very unique and attractive. I don't want to use much wood because of it rotting and attracting yucky pests.

~Angela

• hellbender
    15 years ago

Pretty cool! So how exactly did you build it and what did it cost?

• Demeter
    15 years ago

If you have an old leaky hose, you could cut lengths for each edge, slit the hose and just slip it on to cover the sharp edges and prevent slicing of hands.

• mauirose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i'd be afraid of getting cut, so be careful, those edges are pretty sharp

yep-i think that's why they framed the top in the original plan. The edges are really sharp where i cut the tin so i faced them into the soil. The machine finished edge is a lot smoother so it is top side up.

Carolynp and angela-thank-you!

how exactly did you build it and what did it cost?

had some 1.5" black PVC laying around. cut it into 24" lengths and pounded them a foot in the ground every two feet (you might be able to space them further apart). The tin panels were 2'x8'. I bought two and ripped them in half lenthwise and then ripped one in half crosswise using a jigsaw with a metal blade. (For my next bed i only need one panel since i have the ends left over from the first one.) Drilled some holes through the tin and PVC and bolted them together with galvinized bolts. I think tin was about $20 per panel but might be less in your area. Way cheaper than Trex which was the other material i was thinking about. The bolts were actually the most expensive part but you might be able to use only 1/2 as many as i did. One thing to remember is that the end panels have to be 1/2" lower or higher than the side panels so the corner bolts don't collide.

Demeter-great idea!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio