Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peas and cucumbers on the same trellis at the same time?

Posted by NoSpamKevin none (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 3:02

Can I grow peas and cucumbers together on the same trellis at the same time? And to further clarify, I don't mean growing them in succession.

The trellis is 1/2" EMT conduit and about 5' tall and 5' wide. I was thinking of planting peas on one end, and cucumbers on the other end. Will I get decent production or will one plant just overrun the other? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peas and cucumbers on the same trellis at the same time?

You don't say where you are (fixable in the YOUR PROFILE section), but around here cukes are going to outlive and undergrow peas by a factor of five. They wouldn't be together long, and functionally never at all.

o

Thanks for the response, and the tip about the zone in my profile. According to the zone finder, I'm in zone 9b, but it appears that zone 10a is less than 5 miles away in the next city. I was thinking maybe the peas would start producing before the cucumbers would take over the trellis. I ended up planting the peas and cucumbers on separate trellises this week.

o

you're in 9b and you're thinking of planting peas now? I pulled my peas about 2 weeks ago. I tend to plant peas November through February; and I'm in 9b/10a

o

It depends on the type of pea. In the south, we grow many southern peas that love the hot weather. I grow pink eye purple hull peas every year. Some varieties of this pea grow tall and need a trellis and some are bush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here