Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My spinach won't grow and my strawberries are drying up!

Posted by Donna27 South West Virginia (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:04

This is my first year gardening and am so very excited about it! I decided to do use the SFG method since we have nothing but clay soil where I live, plus it's less labor intensive and less expensive than tilling up the ground... Anyway, right now I have some peas, spinach, leaf lettuce, broccoli, onions, and cabbage growing at the moment and everything is doing well... almost.

I have 4 4'x4' beds and they receive full sun all day. The soil is a mixture of perlite, compost, and peat moss.

My spinach plants have grown anywhere from just out of the ground to about 3 inches and stopped. We had a pretty bad freeze in the middle of april and I believe it has stunted my spinach. It did continue to grow after the freeze, but not much. I have put some compost around it thinking that would help.... no. Is it gone? Should I just pull it up and wait for the fall to try again?

Also, along with the crazy freeze, we have had some very unseasonably hot weather as well (sometimes in the upper 80's!) got to love that mountain weather :). My strawberries are blooming and starting to fruit, but then the berries just turn brown and dry up! Should I invest in a shade cloth to protect them from the heat?

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My spinach won't grow and my strawberries are drying up

• Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 14 at 13:51

I would give the spinach some time - maybe they're just putting down roots, and waiting to start on their leaves again especially given the fluctuating weather. My spinach grew soooo slowly at first over the winter and suddenly was huge.

I'm not sure what's happening with your strawberries but I will tell you that upper 80's is not hot for strawberries. ;) They grow by the mile here in SoCal in full sun. What they do need though is consistent moisture - could they have dried out between waterings? My understanding is that they need to stay moist - that's the hard part here in SoCal, not the sun/heat. They love that!!

We just came out of a heat wave (100*+ with less than 10% humidity) and I think my strawberry plants' only complaint was that I couldn't keep them watered enough.

o
RE: Help! My spinach won't grow and my strawberries are drying up

Thank you slowjane for your advice. I do believe I will leave the spinach for a while longer... it hasn't gone to seed yet so there may still be some life left. As for my strawberries, I think I will need to add some mulch for added moisture control and just keep an eye on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here