Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggielovingmom

Grass growing in my boxes.

veggielovingmom
12 years ago

Help! My boxes grow grass better than my lawn. What have I done wrong? The roots are solid! Taking over the soil. What is the trick to managing the grass growing? Admittedly, at the end of the season I only pull out the old veggies. I don't weed until I'm ready to plant the next season. Is that my problem? If I stay on top of it will the grass have less of a strong hold? I'm ready to shovel out the boxes and turn them into sandboxes for my son.

According to a sfg website I was told it was okay to put my boxes right on the grass with cardboard below. I did this and grass grows right through. So when I added more boxes I used a weed blocker that I stapled to the bottom of my boxes. I still get a decent amount of grass growing in them but it is much much better and totally manageable. If I add more I will be ripping out the grass below next time.

Comments (9)

• silverwind
    12 years ago

I had a little luck last year by *topping* the beds as well with overlapping layers of cardboard, and covering that with just a little mulch. It kept a TON of stray seeds out.

As to the disgusting quantity of roots and rhizomes that take over every year through the bottom and the sides... I fork the entire bed both pre- and post- season and pull every blasted inch of root I can find. It all goes straight to the fire pit. It's ridiculously difficult sometimes, but it's the best (cheapest, most effective, sans-chemical) solution I've found. :/

I don't think there's really any way around it... stupid grass finds its way in just about anywhere. I don't understand why people like it so much they actually take care of it. XD

• veggielovingmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hm, so when you added the extra layer of cardboard did you poke holes in it for the plants to go through? Also are there any chemicals in cardboard to worry about? I wonder, could you do that with weed blocker? You would probably need a drip system for watering if you used weed blocker though. It is reassuring to know someone else is having this same problem. I thought sfg was suppose to produce less weeds.

• silverwind
    12 years ago

I don't know about having it produce less weeds... they're easier to pull out, at least. And conceptually the plants would be closer together, leaving less room for weeds to come through. In my experience, well... the grass is just as happy hiding in between and under the plants where I can't see it easily and yoink it out. So it doesn't seem to make a difference in my case, although there are slightly fewer things like dandelions and the like. I suspect it just depends on your individual problem weeds and your beds and location. I'd probably have less worry of things blowing in if it weren't in a windy space next to open land.

Yep, I just put holes in the cardboard when the plants were small enough; or cut notches in and fit them around like puzzle pieces and overlapped the edges. Plain, mostly inkless cardboard is wonderful. I wouldn't put anything with lots of color or any glossy sides in the beds though.

I never cared for weed blocker, or any other sort of 'landscape cloth', especially when the cardboard is often free for the asking at lots of stores. And I just add the pieces that are shot to the compost pile for the winter.

As it is, I've never used a drip system. I either take the slow route and haul water in buckets/cans or run the hose&sprinkler.

• veggielovingmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good. I think I'll try the cardboard trick this year. At least on my two boxes that are particularly bad.

• veggielovingmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds good. I think I'll try the cardboard trick this year. At least on my two boxes that are particularly bad.

• FADiver (7B, eastern Virginia)
    12 years ago

Veggielovin', I'm having the exact same problem. It's amazing how powerful the roots are of these little grass shoots. It doesn't bother me really, but does anyone know if it's detrimental to the rest of the plants? Are they fighting over resources in the soil?

• silverwind
    12 years ago

Well... I *had* asparagus beds. Now I just get the occasional hopeful shoot, enough for a bit of springtime snacking. The grasses have crowded out seedlings before as well.

I think it largely depends on what you're planting, and how bad it gets. I do have a greatly reduced yield off of areas that are heavily grass-infested.

I'm not sure if it's nutrients, general root crowding, water usage, or whatever - but there is a difference in results. As is often the case, your mileage may vary. ;)

Since using the cardboard, it's still there... but it's much easier to get rid of when I clear it out early spring / late fall. More of it tends to just snake under the cardboard and it's much simpler to only fork a few inches, and it's all easier to see; instead of forking out a full 10-12" deep and sifting.

• engineeredgarden
    12 years ago

My largest raised bed was constructed on top of the existing lawn - which contained mostly crabgrass. Crabgrass is a very invasive weed, and until I discovered the sfg method 4 years ago - had completely given up on trying to grow a garden on the property. I've read instances where gardeners had great success with using cardboard as a weed barrier in their raised beds, but it really depends on what the existing lawn is comprised of. I went all-out during the construction phase, and used the 25 year landscaping fabric at lowes for mine. It's more costly than inferior grades of fabric (and of course cardboard), but the personal gratification it has provided is absolutely priceless. Even after 4 years of service it's still doing it's job, and all of my efforts can be spent on tending to the plants instead of weeding. Just wanted to share the information with those that might be helped by it....

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: You can see my garden here.....

• snibb
    12 years ago

thats great info-sounds like you get what you pay for-just like pretty much everything else in life!

Sponsored