Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon vine issue

Posted by gmreeves Birmingham, AL (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 10:09

I started some sugar baby watermelons and some of them started getting attaked by cut worms. I put a collar around the remaining ones and also planted some more seeds. The ones with the collars were damaged because strong winds pushed the vines over and rubbed on the collars. They are still growing but the base of the stem looks really pathetic. The vine has begun to climb the trellis. There are two like this and three other healthy seedlings. Should I cut the two damaged ones and let the others take over or just let it go and see how it does?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon vine issue

I would remove the damaged plants, because weak plants are a magnet for pest infestations.

EG

o
RE: Watermelon vine issue

Done. I removed them this morning. I knew I should but I was enjoying watching them start to grow the vines. They did take a long time and it was probably due to the fact that they had some very damaged stems. THe leaves looked fine though. The other ones are only a couple of weeks behind so I am sure they will catch up.

Thanks for setting me straight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here