Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Opinions? What to plant in June....

lilion
14 years ago

This has been my first year planting any cole crops. My main broccoli heads are ready to pick, although I'll leave those plants until the side-shoots get bigger, and my cauliflower heads are getting pretty big. What would you plant to take the place of those plants when they come out? It will be about June in zone 6 - kind of, we're in a microclimate, so I assume zone 6. It would need to be something that will take the heat young, but mature before October....I grow pole beans, so I don't need more of those.

Ideas are most welcome!

Comments (13)

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

You name it, you can put most anything in there in June! My personal favorites being any form of squash, cukes, corn, and tomatoes.

Here's a handy-dandy chart I just found:

Here is a link that might be useful: What-to-plant-when in your zone

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I would try basil, cucumbers (those could even be done from seed), swiss chard, green onions, or something from the nightshade family.

• lilion
    Original Author
    14 years ago

According to the chart, I'm actually zone 6/7 instead of zone 5/6. Anyway, I did look at the planting guide published by our dept. of agriculture and they always have a gap between May and July for planting.

I already have plenty of onions. Most of the folks I know have their tomatoes, etc in by May 1. I'm actually running a bit late, planting my cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and zucchini now. Maybe I'll see if I can find starts of cauliflower and broccoli in July to start?

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Beets, bush beans, Lima beans, basil, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, Chinese cabbage, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, leeks, melons, New Zealand spinach, okra, parsley, parsnips, peppers, potatoes, pumpkins, rutabaga, salsify, soybeans, summer squash, winter squash, sweet potatoes, Swiss chard, tomatoes, turnips & watermelon.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• lilion
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Granny! I don't think you mentioned pumpkins - OH! Yes you did! Okay...so apparently everything will survive as babies thru my Missouri summer and give me produce at the end. ;-) If only I had more than 6 squares coming open.

Thanks.

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

alys- Although I don't know what your local retailer 'habits' are, around here one would be hard-pressed to find starts of veggies in July.
    Have you considered "winter sowing?" It's simply a method of starting plants outdoors in recycled containers rather than indoors. I do it with my flowers that I like to refresh beds with in July when some of my other flowers have gone by (namely an iris & poppy bed that I re-do with Cosmos in July to take it through the rest of the season).
    Anyway, that might be a better option for you if your garden centers won't have what you need for starts for later-season harvesting.
    Having said all that, you likely can still find plenty of seeds locally, so you could grab those and get them started (now or a little later) so you'll have your started plants ready to go when your other plants have gone by. If you haven't yet found the Winter Sowing forum, I'd like to invite you over to join the fun. It's a nice group of people that hangs out over there, too, and it's just too easy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

alys, I had to plant my garden from scratch last July. The only things that survived a maple tree falling on them were my tomatoes and a small patch of bush beans! We are probably in similar zones, mine being between 6 & 7 according to our local gardening guru. The only thing I had problems with, planting that late, were the carrots not getting large enough. However, my rabbit and my dogs loved the baby ones that were too small for our consumption! I had pretty good luck finding raggedy leftover pepper plants at garden centers, and really good luck with everything else being directly seeded...even lettuce and mesclun, when temps were 100F and higher! I did have to provide those with a bit of shade. My beet greens and fall spinach didn't even suffer from leaf miner damage like my spring planted ones! So June planting should be just fine for you. Good luck!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• lilion
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been to the winter sowing forum and even did it one or two winters, mostly just flowers, but for some reason I kind of gave up on it. Still, this year I started my lettuce and spinach and brussels sprouts indoors. I was thinking of maybe starting some broccoli again to plant plants out in July, but I'm not sure how you go about it in the summer...do I just plant them in flats, take the dome off when they sprout and grow them like flowers in pots until it's time to put them in the garden? It's not like they'll have cold to worry about, just too much heat.

• momma_s
    14 years ago

mmqchdygg~ Thanks for the link! FYI to others looking up their zone at the site... I couldn't find a super quick way to change the zone to mine, so I changed the number from 6 to 9 (my zone) in the address itself. just thought I'd share.

http://www.veggieharvest.com/vegetable-planning/zone-6.html

http://www.veggieharvest.com/vegetable-planning/zone-9.html

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

alys-
    I use a milk jug for starting my stuff. This time of year, I leave the top half on only until they germinate, then it comes off (except that this week we're expecting cold temps at night, so I'll leave them on for the overnight shift). I don't use 'flats' because they are too shallow, and don't retain moisture very long.

Otherwise, the jug simply keeps things nice & toasty warm and they germinate fast without worrying about stuff moving around or getting washed out by a freak rainstorm.

I was reading on one of my Baker creek melon packets not to let them get container-bound, so those I have to keep a watch on, but the other things I plant out as soon as they have true leaves (or when I get around to it, which is why I have to watch to make sure I don't leave those melons too long)

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

Thanks for that link mm, it helped a lot! I got a late start due to a unusually cold and wet spring, and my garden wasn't ready on time either, as I needed help. I was thinking I was too late on some stuff, started indoors from seedlings, but I guess I'm okay!!! My spring crops will be fall crops!

• lilion
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all the ideas everyone. I've decided not to replace the open spots until July when I'll do more cauliflower and broccoli. We just took the last of the plants out this week and the veggies were just wonderful. I'm told we can direct sow here in August, but I think I'm going to start the seeds in containers just the same, so I'll have plants to set out. That gives me better control over moisture, etc. than just popping seeds in the garden does. In other open areas I've put more hardy lettuces and hopefully I'll get some more of that before it gets too hot. When that's done I'll do more carrots there. Those are our favorite veggies anyway.

I'm really excited about trying a fall garden this year!

• rcj123
    9 years ago

is it to late to plant rhubarb I know it should be planted earlier but I couldn't find any plants until now, can someone let me know please.

Sponsored