Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with worm ID

Posted by rlkennerly 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 11:18

Can anyone tell me what these worms are? They are crawling all around the base of my squash plants(but they haven't really bothered the zukes or any of my other veggies). Are they dangerous to my plants? If they are, how do I get rid of them? My dad suggested diatomaceous earth, but they aren't really soft bodied worms. They're more like tiny millipedes. Maybe they are millipedes, but I thought millipedes were bigger.

Thanks,

Rachel

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with worm ID

Sorry Rachel, I don't know what they are. You might try posting it in the pests & disease section if someone here doesn't help you out...

-Amber

o

Worms don't have legs. Those are millipedes.

Dan

o

Thanks, Dan. After I posted I did a little more research on millipedes and found out they were indeed millipedes. I just had never seen little tiny ones before - only big ones.

I also read they can be harmful to fruit that lies in the ground, but i never could find anything that told me how to get them out of my garden.

Anyone else ever been overrun with millipedes before??

Here is a link that might be useful: LookMaNoWeeds

o

As a vermicomposter I would say you are doing something right in your garden. The millipedes and worms are helping to break down dead vegetative matter. Yes I was overran this spring. I had to clean out some of the unfinished compost that I put in my beds last fall to attract worms. Then I topped with Mel's mix that was stored in my garage over winter. I think that the worms stayed, but the millipedes seem to have moved. hope I this helps some.

Curt~#

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here