Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvest put to test!

Posted by brownli 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 11:31

Ok, perhaps not the prettiest presentation - but here's our bountiful salad and broccoli - who knew I could grow broccoli...just amazing...and the goods just keep on growing! I'm getting bowls full of this stuff weekly now, well actually every 4-5 days...about to round up a couple of neighbors to come harvest some salad makings for their family....again, who knew (remember this coming from a first time gardener!)?

From Square Foot Gardening

And here's where we started.....

and can you believe here we are...in just 6 weeks - is this math correct?...I feel like I've fallen into another dimension....and hey - this is a great place to be!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvest put to test!

Lovely! I'm just putting things in now - such a great time of year.

o

Brownli,

This is very, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

o

WOO-HOO! Way to go, Brownli!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

Brownli,

Your harvest looks yummy!
I know just how you feel.. I'm a first timer too and have been able to harvest lettuce just about everyday for salads and the beds are looking so full :-)

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

o

Thanks all - again, I'm so amazed at watching all the plants - really feels good to plate food that comes from your own garden. I'm hoping this excitement is the same year-to-year.

Now through all my excitement of harvesting - I have failed to weigh my goods! There's no way to go back and weigh those big, beautiful main heads of broccoli (they are in our tummies now....) - but I'll start weighing what I harvest.

Question - is this how you measure your success, season-to-season - by total weight of harvest?

o

Brownli, I'm just as excited this year as I was with my first garden fifty years ago!

"Question - is this how you measure your success, season-to-season - by total weight of harvest?"

I'm weighing mine this year, just out of curiosity (and to egg on EG). I measure my success by the joy I get from the garden, which is from looking at is as well as from eating from it. I just think veggie gardens are beautiful, and I love to sit on the patio and gaze upon mine, or grab a cup of coffee in the mornings and stroll through the garden just rejoicing in the beauty of the different foliage, fruit and flowers. I'd probably grow a veggie garden even if I didn't eat the vegetables!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

brownli - good job! Like granny said, it's not all about the harvest. The therapeutics is what I really do it for. However....I do enjoy taking granny to the woodshed on the harvest weight totals. Ha!

EG

o

Looks great! I'm a first timer this year as well and it was just so much fun getting our meals from the garden.
I'm with granny & EG on how I measure:
Did I enjoy it? Did I learn something new? And of course, being able to pick it and eat it was great too :) . But even some things that didn't grow, I still enjoyed the time out in the garden.

o

I think one of the best things is trying something new. Some times it doesn't work out, but when it does, you just feel so proud. The thing with gardening is when you are successful, you get to eat your success.

Great job!

o

I have converted my husband, a man who thought I was only spending a lot of money for a tomato that we could buy at the store. He thought the garden would only be expensive tomatoes. Now he goes to the garden to look and sits with me in lawn chair and enjoys watching everything growing bigger and bigger. We haven't harvested anything yet but there seems little doubt that our garden will produce well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here