Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Beds with bottoms (above ground)---fertilization and pics?

kristimama
14 years ago

Hi All,

Does Mel ever say anything about the fertilization needs of the boxes he builds above ground, with solid bottoms? (The ones he shows for senior citizens all appear to be thriving, so it's gotta work, right?)

Snibb, what does Mel recommend?

For those of you doing their SFGs with wooden or plywood bottoms, what do you use for fertilier, and how often? Care to share pics for inspiration?

Yes, I realize these kind of beds are essentially very large containers and not really "raised beds." (I guess Mel didn't get the memo he can't grow things this way. LOL) Anyway, the container forum doesn't have the info I am looking for about organics, so I'm hoping someone here who is actually growing in these kinds of bed/contaiers can tell me what they use for fertilizer, whether they're using Mel's Mix or some variation on Al's mix.

My beds are 4'x4' and 2'x4', with plywood bottoms and wheels, so that I can wheel them around my concrete patio as the seasonal light changes. Last year was my first year with SFG and I had less than stellar results, but I think there could have been a whole slew of reasons including my inexperience watering, no mulch, late planting, and I started my mix with a mixed compost that was heavily bark-based. This year I'm giving it another go: earlier planting; more consistent watering, mulch. I also amended the Mel's Mix with lots of really rich compost and about 15% chicken manure. And things are doing GREAT, for now. I'm expecting at some point in the growing cycle I'll need some fertilizer during the growing season, and I'd prefer not to have to drench my beds weekly with Miracle Grow in order to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-kmama

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21