Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery Mildew on Cukes

Posted by lissa_z9b (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 11:58

Looking for some all-natural solutions, if there are any. My online research recommends chemicals, which I'm trying to avoid. The mildew is just starting, but I'd rather nip it in the bud. Should I remove the affected leaves and spray the rest with some kind of solution of dishwashing liquid?

I don't water from above and my cucumbers have been babied as much as possible, but the landlord's new irrigation system waters at night (with water from a pond) and I think the overspray may have given my garden some water that's not good for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery Mildew on Cukes

Try non fat milk and water in equal amounts with a little bit of dish soap but will have to water from above.

o

lissa - some copper fungicide will do the trick.

EG

o

I have used whole milk and half&half in 50/50 mix with water, both work but I had to do it everyday. I had better results with baking soda & water in a spray bottle. Make your own recipe. Or use compost tea if you have it.

Since Powdery Mildew is airborne, it is very difficult to combat. The long term solution may be to plant more cukes or find a resistant variety.

Good Luck

o

• Posted by peel z6 CT (My Page) on
    Tue, May 12, 09 at 14:59

Ugh, powdery mildew. My arch nemesis last year. I used the milk/water mix and although it stopped the progression I was too late as it had already taken over. If it's just starting I think you'll have better luck with it than I did. Good luck!

o

Thing that always works for me is 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon Murphy's Oil Soap in a quart of water in a spray bottle. Never fails...

o

Thank you all! I am hoping to head this off at the pass, so I'll be trying these cures tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here