Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First year need help with plan

Posted by mlzellers Pa Zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 12:06

This is my first year with a SFG so I started out small. My bed is 3x7 and I need help with spacing out my tomatoes and squash.

Here is a picture of my layout.
Photobucket

Does that look ok? It seems to use up a lot of space. Other than lettus what else could I use to fill in the holes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First year need help with plan

Hi, where do you plan to put your trellis? What sort of squash are you growing? If your trellis is down the middle your plan will work, but you can technically fit a lot more in the top row--according to Mel, a trellised tomato can be contained in only 1 square foot. It does require some pruning, and of course you will need to tie the tomatoes and the squashes to the trellis, so make sure it's a very sturdy one.
If this were my garden I would put the trellis along the 7' side (assuming it runs north-south). Then put one of the tomatoes into a separate container and put the squashes in the empty squares between the tomatoes. This way you would still have 2/3 of your garden space left to plant! You could put in pepper plants, swiss chard, broccoli, spinach, bush beans, etc. (larger plants) in the middle row, and then the front row could be lettuces, radishes, carrots, fairly low-growing herbs, etc.
You will be shocked and delighted by how much stuff you really can fit into just a 3x7 space!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here