Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you really do 1 tomato per sq. ft?

Posted by nancy_east Zone 6 NC (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 12:22

So I just planted my tomatoes this past weekend and I did them according to Mel's book but they just seem SO close! Is it really possible to grow them one per square foot? I also built the trellis the book recommends so they'll grow against that and I plan on pinching off the suckers as diligently as I need to so they'll not get too bushy, but I'm still skeptical. Anyone have any horror or success stories to share with doing it this way?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you really do 1 tomato per sq. ft?

There are numerous threads here about this issue. I personally don't grow them this close.

Dan

o

Mel's method is to prune to a single vine. I don't do that, but I effectively grow 1 per SF by placing 2 plants in 2 SF and let them grow how they will. It's a mess but I don't care.

Hope that helps.

o

I grew tomatoes on a trellis one year, one plant per one foot. It worked, but it was a lot of work constantly pruning them. The next year I started growing them one plant per two feet. There was still a lot of pruning to do, but it was noticeably easier. The link below is to a picture of my plants one per foot.

Here is a link that might be useful: One plant per square

o

And here is one per square foot-its not difficult or time consuming to pinch off suckers, and its worked for me for 9 years now.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm14/snobblet/103_0361.jpg

o

I have mine 2 per 4 ft w/ one basil a few borage and nasturtiums in between.

o

Yes, it is possible to grow indeterminate vines that you prune to 1 main stem 1/sf. Determinate (bush) tomatoes, should not be pruned so they need much more space.

I grow ind. tomatoes 1/sf pruned to 1 stem and trained up a string. I don't have alot of space but want to grow as many different varieties as possible. It works well for me, I find it easier than caging or staking.

Good gardening, Mary

o

Last year I did 1 tom/1 sf and trained them up a trellis, but the trellis was made from 1/2" PVC and 6" net. The trellis didn't fall, but did become pretty unstable, the one with my cantaloupes did fall and I had melons all over the ground. I didn't do much pruning, just removed the suckers and the odd branch that got cumbersome. I had a good mess of tomatoes last year.

This year the trellises are made of 1/2" conduit and nylon netting. I'm hoping to keep it all off the ground this year.

Randy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here