Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wannabeturk

My First SFG Layout - comments requested

wannabeturk
12 years ago

Hi everyone - I've built my first SFG and am about to plant some seedlings as soon as the weather permits. I picked up the SFG book after I already started, so unfortunately it's not exactly as I would like. For instance my "Mel's mix" is not exactly the same formula because I had already installed a yard of half soil/half compost mix in my bed. I'm going to take out some of that though, and add in as much peat moss and vermiculite to try to balance it out to the 1/3 ratio some more.

My garden is 4x8 and I built an 8' long x 5' high trellis for the beans, tomatoes and cucumbers which are all in the back row. My challenge is sunlight - I indicated the exposure direction in my diagram but it's really more of an angle - East is more like NE and West is SW. This means I get most of my sunlight in the afternoon - from around 1-2pm onwards. I know this isn't ideal, but I had some success last season with tomatoes and cucumbers. Hoping that the raised bed will help them even more.

Where I wrote "I, II, etc" means I'm going to do staggered planting times so I harvest - probably 2 weeks apart.

Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated! My main concern is that I've waited a bit too long in the season already. It's not too late to plant carrots, radishes, lettuce, etc right? I live in the Northeast.

Also, I may cut down to 3 tomato plants if this is too crowded (planning on doing a significant amount of pruning). Also any suggestions for the "? squares are appreciated!

Thanks!

W

{{gwi:1272797}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio