Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some replacement plant ideas for front of the bed

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 12:41

I have a 3x3 bed, trellis in the back three squares with one square of sugar snap peas, two others are pole beans. Middle squares are all broccoli. I have/had fennel in the front squares. I already harvested one, another will be harvested shortly. Third one still isn't quite bulbed up yet.

So I'll have two front squares open, depending on the third fennel bulbing up or bolting sooner rather than later, maybe three. I was thinking maybe bush beans for one. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it too late for onions (regular, not bunch), beets, or turnips? Kale? Okra?

My other beds have lettuce, summer squash, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some replacement plant ideas for front of the bed

My go-to favorite is ruby swiss chard; very hardy, and you can cut the outer leaves to keep it coming. Saute in olive oil with fresh herbs and pine nuts (I add diced ham, too) - yum!
Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here