Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie--Bush Sugar Baby Melon -how to support?

Posted by angiebug z8a LA (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 13:09

I am very much a newbie...have never grown anything from seed until this year. Since I'm still new, I didn't want to rip up the grass in my backyard to build garden beds until I have a little more confidence. So...following a suggestion I heard, I planted Bush Sugar Baby Watermelons in 5 gallon buckets. I have 2 plants. They are to the point where I will soon need to give them some type of support. My question is how should I do this? I've seen people mention using nylon pantyhose, but I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie--Bush Sugar Baby Melon -how to support?

The hose is to support the melons as they develop since the vines are not capable of carrying that sort of weight when on a trellis. The trellis suppports the vines themselves, it ionly the fruit that requires slinging.

Are these buckets next to a trellis of some sort, or are they just sitting on a patio?

o

Right now, they're sitting in the middle of my yard on blocks, but I'm about to go purchase some sort of trellis and will probably move them so that they're alongside my fence.

o

Make sure it is a heavy duty trellis and is firmly attached to the fence. The melons weigh at least 8lbs each, or work out a way to attach the slings for the melons to the (wooden?) fence. There are soem instructions in the FAQ on considerations on building a trellis for vining crops.

I'm also not sure how watermelosn do bucket grown, you might get better results digging a hole next to the fence/trellis big enough for the bucket contents and transplanting the entire thing into the hole, using a hoe to keep grass a foot or so away from the base of the vine.

o

My lasagna gardening book reccomended growing melons using two half whiskey barrels-one for a base that was turned upside down and then another to plant in that is placed on top of that one, turned right side up of course. They said the melon vines grow down instead of taking up the floor space in the garden which is the purpose of the trellis as I understand it. (that and easier picking) Sounds like you have the same arrangement going - with the buckets on the blocks. I'm planning to try some this way this year since trellis building is something I may not have time for this year. You might consider just leaving them?? Just a thought! Good luck and let us know how it works out.

o

those whiskey barrels are pretty expensive. @ $18 each at Lowe's. So, there's a $36 dollar investment (plus soil) to grow a few watermelons. Maybe there's some other device that would do the trick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here