Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Do you use flowers, too?

mmqchdygg
14 years ago

Over on the veggie forum, someone asked about incorporating flowers in amongst your veggies. I didn't know if that was even possible with SFG, but since my garden is sort-of a hybrid (kinda SFG, kinda old-school), I can certainly mix them in.

I'm already planning on stuffing the tomato patch with Marigolds, and have some nasturtiums lining the strawberry patch...but each other bed seems to be planted with only enough space for what's actually IN it. The tomato bed is certainly big enough to support flowers in the other # SF that aren't currently being utilized, but even in say the zucc/squash bed, I know that they'll get HUGE, so putting flowers in there may not be possible.

Thoughts?

Comments (9)

• Holly DeVito
    14 years ago

I left out some blocks specifically for marigolds. I just took out my snow peas and planted some zinnias in their spot. I'll be putting sunflowers in the snap peas place when they are done. I also have some nasturtiums planted by my zucchini (not that close, just there for color).

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, perfect! That'll work...replacing the peas (and or other cold-crops that I don't plan on replacing after they go by).
    Thanks!

• lilion
    14 years ago

I made the mistake of planting a whole bag of marigold seeds last year around the border of my bed. Even dwarf marigolds get BIG. They darn near took over! I should have harvested seeds and I'd have made some money. LOL!

• defrost49
    14 years ago

I planted nasturtium seeds along the front of my lasagna bed last year. The plants were huge but mostly big leaves. You had to part the leaves to see the flowers. I think you should consider the extra fertility in your bed might make the flowers bigger than usual. Maybe mine also had lots of nitrogen. I had topped off the garden with a load of beautifully composted horse manure that also contained bedding, wood ashes and kitchen scraps.

I planted my tomato bed too densely last year. I stuck in some hot pepper plants, calendula, lemon gem marigolds, parsley, etc along the edge. This particular bed next to the kitchen porch was dedicated to cherry tomato varieties which got huge and sprawly despite their cages. Some of the other plants just got choked out. The ones on the south edge did better. I find it hard this time of year to pay attention to the amount of space a plant will need and I tend to figure things could be a little closer.

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

defrost49, nasturtiums don't like fertile soil. It makes them produce big leaves and few flowers. I dug big holes in my beds and brought buckets of regular soil to fill them for planting my nasturtiums, and didn't give them any fertilizer at all. It still looks like even my regular soil is too fertile for them, as I have big leaves, no flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

I am putting lots of flowers into mine. I just followed the spacing on the packets mostly. I'm also putting some invasive s like bee balm and mint into pots to go around the bed.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I may place some pots of flowers near some of my occupied beds. I recently red that hyssop draws the same moth as broccoli so it could be a deterrant plant. Hyssop does really well here so I may give it a go. There are not enough available squares to try anything else.

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

I did double up some things like creeping thyme and cosmos, and some dwarf nasturtiums at the base of my cukes. I'm thinking of those more as ground cover while everything is smaller.

• momma_s
    14 years ago

I have marigolds, and they're doing well in my sfg. They are almost dead in the pots next to my sfg since they're sitting on concrete.

Nasturtiums would be fun to grow since they're an edible flower, but one of the first things that always stands out when I read about them is that aphids are near crazy about them. That turns me off every time since we have aphid issues throughout the yard (thanks, previous tenants).

I'm planting purple trailing lantana this weekend between my sfg and the house wall. They tolerate heat really well, are drought tolerant, and can attract bees and butterflies (they look pretty too).

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio