Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
got4boyz

Winter Squash Spacing and Growing Tips

got4boyz
18 years ago

I want to plant some Waltham Butternut and Vegetable Spaghetti Squash in my SFG. I will trellis them. How far apart should they be, and if you have any special planting tips I'd appreciate it since this is my first ever garden.

Thanks, Beth

Comments (20)

• got4boyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ray, how's it going? Did you get your veggies planted yet, or are you still concentrating on your orchards?

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I had already put the trellis up some time ago. It is six feet high but only as wide as the bed which is 4'. Should I only plant 3 instead of 4 in there since it's only a 4' wide trellis?

Thanks, Beth

• Ray Scheel
    18 years ago

The garden is half-planted and the orchard is having to dfend for itslef, though I really need to do some grafting soon. We had some health issues in the family that are just now resolving enough where I can even keep up with maintainence issues.

6' is plenty tall. I'd still plant 4 now and just plant 3 later. You can always plant fewer next year if you decide you had too much pruning to do this time.

• got4boyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK thanks, Ray. Hope the family will continue to improve and get well. Good luck with the grafting. Now I'm off to plant some squash. :)

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

Good news about the family, Ray!

About those squash, you can always try to steer them down the other side of the trellis. (That would be a daily *tweak* project, like staking summer squash.)

• got4boyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jacque!

That's a great idea. I could do that with my gourds too as they like to ramble.

I bought these clips that would make it easy. You can check them out on this link if interested. I really like them and they unclip easily to be used over and over again. Picture of the clip is at the very bottom of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clips

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

Howdy, got4boys (*Whew*)!

Neato clips! I use 1/2-inch green bias tape strips, about 8 inches long, wrapped in a figure-8 around the stem and support. Those puppies can be washed and reused, too.

Of course, I have to remember to tie a square knot instead of a granny, and you just click. :-D

• got4boyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't even know how to tie a granny! LOL I think I'll stick with my clips. : )

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

Howdy, got4 (amazing--you are still coherent enough to type!)!

Easy!

Right over left, left over right
    makes the knot neat, tidy, and tight.

If you try to knot it but don't make the switch,
    whatever you tied will wind up in the ditch.

( I made up those last 2 lines--if you are silly enough to quote them, footnote me!)

;-D

• got4boyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Jacques,

I like your last two lines and I WOULD be silly enough to quote them. I'll be sure to tell them Jacques taught me. : ) I can be pretty silly, just ask my boyz!

However, I thought that is how you tie a square knot, not a granny. I can tie a square knot, but don't know what a granny is.

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

Howdy, got4 (awesome sanity check potential....)!

Heh, a granny knot is when you mistie a square knot. Try right over right, right over right, then pull on it. (Brace yourself--it won't last long!)

(And Jacque is short for Jacqueline--but I'm still not French. ;-D )

• got4boyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Jacqueline! Sorry about adding an S on the end of your nickname. :(

Now I understand what you mean by a granny knot.

I have a niece named Jacqueline and she's not French either. LOL

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

Hey, I don't mind getting a free letter at no additional cost. No sweat! 8-D

• kiffany
    18 years ago

The clips look exactly like the clips you use to bunch cables together. You can get them a most hardware stores and some computer stores.

Kiffany

• ljsign
    18 years ago

can butternut squash be grown on a up a trellis or is the fruit too heavy, and will it fall off of the vine if not supported with a basket or something?

• Jacque_E_TX
    18 years ago

Most people sling winter squash when they are butternut size or larger--T-shirt material or old pantyhose work fine.

Maybe next season I'll have a yard. If so, I'll try growing them both ways and report ('cause I suspect the stem will thicken to support the weight of the fruit, and I'm the curious type.)

Excuse me while I go work on recipes for butternut soup, bread, and ice cream--the local food pantry will probably want them, too.

• Ray Scheel
    18 years ago

I know spaghetti squash have no issues with hanging unsupported. Neither does zuchetta / trombichino (a winter/vining squash picked early to be eaten as a summer squash) even when "forgotten" - and they get too big fast. And gourds of all sizes are frequently grown trellised. I think its mainly the melons that need support.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I wanted to revive this old thread, because I feel it's got some useful stuff in it. I'm growing the 2 squash mentioned by the OP, and would like to ask Ray about the spacing. I see in the book it states 1 per 2 sq ft. I have a bed 4 feet wide, and currently have one side of a trellis available that is 4 ft tall. I'm thinking that I could plant 2 out of the 3 varieties I have started in milk jugs, that are most compact (if such a thing exists when speaking of winter squash) from spaghetti, waltham butternut, and buttercup. Hopefully, the tomatoes on the other side of the trellis will be done producing by the time the squash vine has grown to the top of this 4 ft trellis, and I can yank the toms and let the squash grow down the side where the toms were. The most vigorous of the 3 will be planted at the bottom of my tallest trellis, which is 6 feet tall (my cucumbers are there now, but will be coming in hot and heavy in the next 2 weeks) Can Ray or Trev comment on this? Which of the 3 has the most uncontrollable vine?

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Hey EngineeredGarden,

I got your email so I figured I would give you my two cents. I believe buttercup is the most compact of the three. I have never intentionally done any square foot gardening, so I am not sure if I was the best person to ask. However, I do grow lots of squash on trellises. I remember your setup, do you plan on putting one variety per each of your 3 trellises? I think that would be a good idea. I would put the Waltham butternut on your biggest trellis. Keep in mind that you don't need to plant your squash at the base of your trellis. They could be planted several feet away if stuff is on your trellis and just train them towards your trellis as they begin to vine. I suspect you will need to prune the vines a lot to keep them on the trellis.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Thanks Trev - that was exactly the information that I was looking for. I will plant only one variety per trellis, as you suggested. My spaghetti squash seedlings are doing much better than the other 2 in the milk jugs, and I am gonna have to transplant it soon. So, I will go ahead and put it in front of the 4 foot trellis that is available now. Thanks again, Trev - You rock dude!