Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idmike_gw

Transplant or Wait?

idmike
14 years ago

The good news: By the end of this week I'll have 7 new gorgeous raised beds for my garden. They are replacing several "plant in the dirt" areas. (I'm sick of fighting weeds and slugs)

The bad news: These areas are already planted. Who knew I'd find the lumber so cheap? I've got tomatos, peppers, eggplant, b. sprouts, zucchini, etc.

So as I fill the raised beds, probably mostly with compost as I can't afford meld mix every where, can I transplant everything or do I have to wait until next year?

Did I mention I hate waiting?

IDMike

Comments (6)

• idratherbegardening
    14 years ago

I understand the impatience thing...

How big are your plants right now? If they haven't been in the ground very long, you can try to transplant, but you'll be taking a chance. Some plants may do ok, others may croak. If you do decide to try to move some things, take as much dirt as possible with the plant (trying not to disturb the roots), water in well, and provide shade (fabric shade cover, maybe?) for several days.

Good luck!

• idmike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Most of them are still in the 1 to 1.5 foot range. I have one cherry tomato that is probably closer to 2+ feet. The squash is in the .5 to 1 ft diameter size.

We actually ended up building all the beds today. We even sealed them. I'm going to try and move stuff over, i think. I just can't stand the idea of those beds sitting empty. I'm also going to be able to add more plants now that they will be in decent soil.

*happy planning face*

Thanks for your response, i can use all the advice i can get!

IDMike

• organic_tx_gardener
    14 years ago

I would be inclined to keep at least some of the already-planted areas going, especially if the plants are doing well. This is my first year of SFG, and I started with only one 4x4 box, located adjacent to my regular in-ground garden of approximately 12x30 dimensions. As it turns out, my SFG is not doing nearly as well as the regular (non-square foot) garden, so I am very glad to have kept the regular garden this year while I am experimenting with the square foot style.

Next year you can always replace your entire regular garden with the square foot style, if you choose to go that way. Based on my experience this year, I think I will be adding more square foot beds next year, but keeping my regular 12x30 plot as well.

• gabbygardner
    14 years ago

I would definitely transplant. It is only June 1!! Plenty of time for them to go through the shock and recover. I have just transplanted, as this was my plan in my new raised beds as well. They are doing great.

I wanted to get started planting, so I planted several things in my first raised bed. Now that they are all done, transplant it is. I now have 10 new beds planted from seed, or transplanted from another bed and all are doing very well.

Good Luck!!

g

• idmike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the great input folks. I just thought i'd follow up and let you know what we decided to do.

Many of the plants had been in the ground for over a month and were still only a foot or so high. Not exactly thriving! So we decided to risk it. We filled the beds and transplanted everything yesterday. What a workout!

If they'd been doing well i'd have left them 'till next year but even with amending the soil in the spring it seemed to be harder and harder for them. And then there were the slugs. Evil slimey monsters...

I'll try and get some pictures posted as soon as i figure out how. *grin*

IDMike

• idratherbegardening
    14 years ago

I'd love to see some pics of your garden. Hope all your transplants make it.

FYI, I just posted a follow-up message to gabbygardener (subject - my first salad) to ask how to go about adding pics...

Sponsored