Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahelaumakani_gw

Things aren't growing!

ahelaumakani
13 years ago

I live in Austin, TX and this is my first year growing a SFG. I'm using Mel's Mix.

I tried radishes two different times and each time they were destroyed within days of sprouting. I seem to have a big problem with what I think are millipedes in the bed. I've seen some slugs too but some nearby hostas are untouched so I don't think there are too many of them.

I planted zucchini and yellow squash transplants at the end of March. The zucchini never seemed to grow any bigger and then a huge rainstorm blew some twigs down on it and crushed it so I took it out. The yellow squash has grown triple in size. It had some male flowers on it but never any females and I haven't seen any new flowers in a couple of weeks.

I also planted a cantaloupe and a Sugar Baby. The seedlings disappeared and the replacement cantaloupe seed I planted never sprouted. After a month the replacement sugar baby seed is only about 3 inches high.

The other thing that is confusing is the carrots that I planted at the end of March too. Out of 16, only 4 or so have made it (the others kept getting crushed by rain) but they only have 1 or 2 true leaves. They aren't dying, but they're not growing either.

I'd like to plant some bare root strawberries but want to ensure success! Any ides about what could be wrong?

Comments (3)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

A number of us here think first year Mel's Mix has insufficient nutrients to support good growth. Start fertilizing with liquid and see what happens.

Dan

• greentouch
    13 years ago

I agree about the need for fertilizer. My first year Mel's mix fill was producing yellowish plants that did not grow well, so, we added liquid fertilizer to the beds, as well as liquid sevin spray to take care of the bug holes in the leaves.

That was less than a week ago, and, squash is now green and pepper plants are getting there. Tomatoes planted from seed have finally started to grow. It has really made a difference.

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

In my own case, I've worked for years to amend my native soil, that I didn't want to just lose all that effort when I made my "Mel's Mix". So, I left the boxes open on the bottom, and just worked Mel's mix into my existing soil. This eliminated a lot of problems with Mel's mix not supplying enough nutrients in the first year. My native soil (primarily clay) is actually very good, especially after 5 years of amending and amending and amending with compost and other organic matter. My first year I had to look hard to find worms, now I need to only turn over a single trowel of soil, and I can find a half a dozen worms! It's a great thing!

Secondly, I would be very careful with the heat down there in Texas. Radishes (and most root crops for that matter) are cooler weather crops, so they might have gotten fried in the sun.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists