Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Plant every 2 weeks....'

Posted by shmish 7a (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 15:06

Hi, something I seen quite often on seed packages is that the seeds can be planted every 2 weeks all summer, through August, etc. For example, I'm about to sow some bush bean seeds and have a square or two to use. Assuming I use 9 seeds per square, would this mean that I would plant 1 row of 3 seeds every 2 weeks? This would give me 2wks x 6 rows of seeding. Does that seem about right?

What other strategies do you use for planting seeds that can be sown all summer? Perhaps replace early crops (like radish) with beans later on?

cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Plant every 2 weeks....'

I feel that you'll need to plant both squares at the same time to make it worth your while...More squares would be even better. Yes, as soon as the radishes finish, plant that square as well.

EG

o

I agree with EG.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

I want as much garden space growing things as I can possibly fit in. So, I tend to have short early season crops (like leaf lettuce) and some longer early season crops (peas and romaine lettuce), they get replaced as they finish with either more lettuce or some root crops. I continue to pull plants as their peak producing period comes and replant continually. I start some zucchini early, and some later, when I pull the first zucchini, before it gets ridiculously large and takes over the garden! I don't have a stretch (more than a week) without zucchini based on this rotation.

Getting back to your original question, I would plant no less than a single block at a time. 9 bean plants will give a nice yield, but only 3 wouldn't produce enough at once, IMHO. Definitely replant squares that are no longer producing! (oh and remember to add more compost/fertilizer when replanting!)

o

Most bush beans will produce all summer if you keep them picked. It will take a week or so for new flowers to form. Except for commercial use I never could understand the reason for pulling up and things like beans when with a little patience you can continue to harvest until frost. But by planting two groups two weeks apart you should not have any gaps in production.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here