Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanted Some Garlic

Posted by rachel597 z5 ME (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 15:21

I transplanted some garlic to my SFG this week. I know that garlic is usually planted in the fall, then harvested at the end of the growing season the following year. But this poorly planned garlic doesn't stand a chance of forming bulbs because it was growing from garlic bulbs that I couldn't find last year.

Yup, I lost my garlic among the weeds of my traditional garden. This is the major reason I wanted to try SFGing this year.

Earlier this spring, I was cleaning up my garden, pulling out all the dead weeds and grass from last year and what do I find? Many, many garlic shoots sprouting up among the weeds. It seems the garlic was there all along, but has now gone to seed and split into numerous clumps of new growth.

So I dug up a couple of clumps and re-planted them in my new SFGs. This was several days ago and they are not looking good:

Here is a link that might be useful: GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanted Some Garlic

Next time try to get more soil with the roots, and water in lightly. These guys look like they have been treated a little rough (that's my take). This from someone who has tried to transplant carrots, of all things. And before you ask, sure it worked, but yes, they all came out twisted!

o

Thanks for your response. Yes, they were handled rather roughly. They came from two out of several clumps that were growing together with all their roots intermingled. I had to separate them out in order to plant them individually.

Here is a link that might be useful: GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

o

I'm not a garlic expert (far from it), but I'd bet they will be OK. The tops will probably die back, then they will put out new growth. I plant my leftover store-bought green onions and they look just like that, but soon grow strong and green. I always planted my garlic in the spring here in E. WA, but I like young garlic and don't grow it to dry for later use. This past year was the first time I ever planted in the fall for use this year.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here