Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
americais1984

5/4' vs 2' Thick Boards for Raised Bed?

americais1984
12 years ago

Hi there, first time poster longtime reader here seeking some advice on a raised bed.

Here's the plan: 3 4x4 beds with either 2x6 or 5/4 x 6 in boards 3 deep (so approx 18" high) - hopefully high enough to keep out a rotten voracious adorable family of bunnies! Planning on lining the boards with plastic on the inside (to prevent premature rotting of these high dollar cedar boards), and chicken wire beneath. will 5/4 in boards be sufficient for this project or will they bow out and warp or sag in short order?

Corners will be 2x2, debating weather to stake them into the earth or let the bed just sit on the ground, surely it won't move? Or would it?

I'm building this for my sister and her new family in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and want my niece eating healthy organic food fresh from the garden! I want this to last 8-10 years. Is this feasible?

Bottom line questions...Would this work with plain old pine, or is cedar pretty much non-negotiable? Is 2 x worth the extra money or will 5/4 suffice? Is the plastic liner going to make much difference or is it a waste of time and effort? Should the garden be staked down, or will it be fine sitting on the ground? Is approx 18" bed high enough to prevent a plague of rabbits or should I add barbed wire, land mines, electric fence, and hire blackwater?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• thelox714
    12 years ago

I've made 5 raised beds at 3x3 each by using redwood dogeared picket fencing and cedar picket fencing. They seem to be fine. The first 2, cedars, were built last year and they seem fine now. Of the other 3, 1 was built towards the end of the season last year and is not housing 3 tomato plants and 3 pepper plants. It seems to be working fine. The last 2 were just built this year but only one is housing 4 tomato plants including: Roma, Early Girl, Money Maker and Yellow Pear. In the center there is a pepper plant and these seem to be growing fine.

The redwood boards are under $2 each, making the bed cost just under $15 each. The boards are 6 feet and have them cut in half and therefore only needing 4 boards. They are not think enough to have a screw to hold them together, so I pick up an 8 foot redwood post, about $6-7 each, and have them cut to 8 pieces at 1 foot in length. The beds end up at just under a foot tall and the seem to be tall enough. I fill them with compost and mix in grass clippings.

I don't have any of them staked because once it is filled, it doesn't move. It also made it much easier when I had to move them. I needed them moved to make a walk-way behind them and it was the only way of doing it.

I wish I would help with the other questions, but I haven't had the bunny issue. Although, if I haven't planted anything in them, the cats like to use it as a littler box. I just put a large sheet of chicken wire over them and that fixes that issue.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog post about my first cedar beds.

• georgiahomegarden
    12 years ago

Here is how I made my beds. I just put them straight on the ground.

http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/2011-garden-square-foot-gardening.html

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• americais1984
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Spent a long time hemming and hawing at Menards (cheaper than Home depot for the record) after reading Luis's post above I determined 2x6 was overkill. I'm building the boxes tomorrow with 5/4x6x4 boards 3 high screwing them into 2x2.

It's worth noting that due to unscrupulous lumber yards from back in the day 2x6, and 5/4x6 are not actually the sizes of their original namesake. they are actually 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 and 1x5 1/2. I'm only reducing the width by a half inch not 3/4 inch as you would think given they're common (mis)measurement names. I briefly considered using the picket fencing, but I figured my 5/4 was a decent compromise. If the picket fencing was in a length closer to 4 feet it would've been a tougher decision, but being the non-wasteful person I am, I would have had to find a use for all those 2 foot dog-eared ends. It's for the best this way. Next bed I might try the dog ear, but I'm worried about weakness and splitting.

• Ralph Eronemo
    3 years ago

How about a follow up nine years later? I'm considering the same right now. How did they hold up?

• Peter Calabrese
    3 years ago

I wouldn't mind an update as well. About to build some 18x48 boxes 18 high with 5/4x6 boards with 2x2 at corners. Anyone?

Sponsored