Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluejean_gw

Protecting individual squares

bluejean
14 years ago

I have planted numerous plants from seeds this year and everything came up without a hitch- with one exception, my spinach. I have tried to plant it multiple times and only once did I have anything sprout, only to disappear the next day.

My bed are high rise beds, 20"+ tall and rabbits are not possible. What could be finding & eating my spinach seeds? Or possible bad pack of seeds?? We use a twine divider for the squares, any thoughts on how I could protect each individual planted square until my seedlings are established?

I was thinking of making a small frame and using Mel's design for the bed covers using small diamater PVC, but my hubby is doubtful of that working on such a small scale (one square). What else could I use to hold up the plastic (or mesh... or wire... or..?)

I am desparate to make this work. Hubby's one request for the garden this year was spinach. He's built me trellises, new beds, etc. The least I could do for him is a few leaves of spinach!! I want to figure something out in time to plant some for this fall/winter.

Any thoughts and suggestions or even encouraging pats on the back are welcome. *grin*

Thanks so much,

bluejean in SW Ohio

Comments (11)

• crystabel
    14 years ago

I came across the same problem as you with some lettuce. I think it was a bad pack of seeds because I planted 3 types of lettuce and that one type was the only one I never, ever even saw sprout. I even attempted to start it indoors and never saw a thing sprout!
    Why don't you try to sprout it a while inside in a small cup or peat pot and when it is a good size move it out? Or did you do that already?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I have 16in from grade to top of wall, and I had a rabbit up there last year.

Nonethless, I'm not familiar with Mel's new book, but the old one with the white cover has numerous ideas for bending wire to cover individual squares. Chicken wire, builder's cloth, cattle panel...

Dan

• stevesj76
    14 years ago

You could try testing your seeds for germination rates. Get some some paper towels and lay a few on a flat plate or lid or something. Draw a grid pattern on another paper towel. Maybe do ten or or twenty small squares. Place this on the plate and then put one seed into each square. Place a couple more towels on top. Get this whole thing wet. Put the plate with the towels, seeds, and water into a zip lock bag. Put it somewhere with the proper temperature for germination for the proper germination period. When it has sat long enough, take it apart and check seeds for germination. Multiply the number of seeds (10 times 10, 20 times 5) to get 100, and the number of successful seeds times the same number to get your percentage. So if 5 out of 10 seeds germinate, you have 50% germination rate. If 0 germinate, your seeds are duds. ;-)

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

As Dan said, Mel suggests bending chicken wire into a 1 cubic foot box and placing it over the square. Another solution is a milk jug cloche (cut the bottom off).

Of course also test the seeds, but those are some ideas to protect it once it does come up.

Good luck

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Someone here was using those mesh dish covers that you get to keep flies/insects off your picnic foods. They are little mesh domes, about 12" square. I think she said she got hers at the dollar store, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere! I need some to put over my lettuce squares, as the birds peck at the leaves.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

14 years ago

The thing about using milk jug cloches too late in the season (here in Colo anyways) is that they don't transmit full light and they artificially raise humidity, and as such they take extra work. If I were to do this I'd use a wire cage. I have a lot of milk jugs and they are out of my garden now, with the exception of the plants needing wind protection.

Dan

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

I started lettuce & spinach in milk jugs this spring (wintersowing style) then transplanted them when they had their first set of true leaves. If you do this, I suggest spacing the seeds in the container rather than scattering. It makes them easier to transplant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• liisa_rwc
    14 years ago

That would be me Granny's talking about... here is a photo of the mesh cover....

Yes I found them at the Dollar Store and at Rite Aid.

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

14 years ago

Oh no: the lace would send the better half into bonkersville. Never happen at my house. ;o)

I just group my plants such that the ones with similar needs go in the areas that get hoops and row covers. I have two up now with plants underneath that enjoy wind protection. I also had a row cover up recently for a little shade when temps went into the upper 80ºs (F ;o) ) here, where I tied one end of the row cover fabric to the trellis and the other end was attached to one hoop for elevation over the cool seasons, which are all on the shadier side of the bed.

Dan

• matrixman
    14 years ago

Plant the seeds and cover it with an old window screen til they sprout. Use some rocks or something to keep the screen of the dirt.

Joe

• bluejean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much for the wonderful & creative ideas. I will show this thread to my husband and see what we can come up with- that and I will certainly check out the dollar stores this weekend to see if I can find one ready made!!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County