Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deogloria11

Is Mel's Mix organic?

deogloria11
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to gardening. I plan to use the raised bed Square Foot Gardening method. I'm getting a bit of a late start, but not too late, in my northern climate.

I have two questions I'd love help with:

1) Is "Mel's Mix" organic? (I know, I've heard the peat moss debate about its lack of sustainability, so moving on from there...) I don't know if the ingredients of it are natural. I wonder if peat moss from "managed" bogs could possibly be treated with chemical fertilizers, herbicides, etc.

I want my garden completely organic and natural. However, we just bought new land, and the soil there is very dusty looking with a lot of stones, and the area has a dense growth of pine saplings and is right next to a mature pine forest. So I'm going to have to enrich it, obviously. I don't have the time to develop the soil right now, so I figured my best bet in the short term is using "Mel's Mix". But I question if it's natural.

I'm also very short on cash, and I need to grow enough for a very large family, so any suggestions on ways to do this cheaply but ORGANIC would be greatly appreciated.

2) My neighbor said I'll need to add lime to the soil (when I eventually cultivate it) to neutralize what the pines have done to it. Is this natural, or could there be chemicals/additives in the lime?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (5)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

1. I suppose it depends upon whether you purchase an "organic" compost consumer product(s). And whether folks think peat moss is organic. It depends upon what your definition if is is, I suppose.

2. There are indeed chemicals in lime (CaO), just as there are chemicals in every compound on earth. There are chemicals in vermiculite as well ( (Mg,Fe2+,Al)3(Al,Si)4O10(OH)2·4(H2O) ).

As for cheaply, make your own soil amendments out of your own compost rather than purchasing consumer products at retail.

Dan

• heather38
    13 years ago

Dan is correct, what is organic and what is your definition? lime and Vermiculite are both from nature, but have been treated Peat moss, dried and vermiculite is I think exploded sort of rock??? (also you get into the whole Carbon footprint territory)
    I would pretty much think with Compost (shop brought) most companies will not be 100% able to say for def their product is Organic, they may strive for that, but insecticide can drift on the wind. (but will also denature)
    even your own garden, you don't know what the soil contains, Caveat here, not sure on Organic Status in the US, but in the UK, a farm registers, and then is monitored for a few years, to check they following "organic methods" then they are satisfied the "farm" is doing what it can reasonably do to ensure they are "organic" and then they can say they are.
    I try not to sweat it, to much, just do what I can, as in no more peat moss for me (yes I have used it and wouldn't blame anyone else if they did), I have read the evidence and although I agree that it is sustainable, I think it could get less so, with the more people Gardening, who use it.
    I do my own compost, but I get the corn shucks from the supermarket, just bet they are sprayed with stuff, Seaweed from the beach, not only what is in the sea? but our local beauty spot, sports an decommissioning nuclear power station :-) still the benefit is the biggest seaweed I have ever seen ;-P
    research and just do what you can do, and what you are comfortable with, remember every little you do, helps, but everything around you is a chemical.
    little story for you at the end of WW 1 the Germans scuttled their own fleet at Scapa Flow, Scotland, this Steel is highly prized now in science as it is the only high quality steel on the earth that has as far as they know not been contaminated by radiation.and as a gardener you are battling years of insecticide, herbicides, just make your mark on the world, we can't go back, move forward, in tiny steps :-)
    Gosh that was deep for me :-)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    13 years ago

Mel's Mix is not synthetic and growing foods it in it is likely a vast improvement over the practices of many large farms.

Mel's Mix is not cheap. If you want to supply all of your families vegetables in the first year, scout out the cheapest resources you can. If you plan to build your garden incrementally, I would begin to research lasagna gardening methods. It will take some time but in the long-term would be more economically feasible. For my family of 6, I have a 2 year plan to develop the garden with a hope of providing 75% of the vegetables my family consumes (and we consume a lot). Many of my beds will be built from lasagna gardening methods due to my lack of funds.

If you plan to build your soil, plan to get a professional soil test before adding the lime so that you have a reasonably clear picture of what your pH level is to determine whether or not lime is necessary for the plants you hope to grow. When you are at that point, visit the soil forum, there are many knowledgeable people there. The easiest/cheapest ways to build your soil will be through composting or vermicomposting. Good luck!

• keski
    13 years ago

Fine Gardening had an article on using straw bales to build an immediate garden ( well about 3 weeks time) in its last issue. Straw is cheap and will decompose quickly using their method. Then you would have a completely composted garden.
    Keski

• freshair2townsquare
    13 years ago

deogloria11 ~

i've read that some are using coconut coir fiber as a more sustainable substitute for peat moss - more costly and more difficult to find, but less controversy

~ freshair

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting