Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

Where do I belong

jbest123
13 years ago

I have been posting on the vegetable forum but many if not most of all posters are conventional row gardeners. I started out thinking that I would convert my garden to SFG style but my variances are;

1. Of 16 beds, none are 4X4 or 4X8 ft.

I do not use MelÂs Mix, I use 100% composted horse bedding.
I do not use the grid system, I do use the recommended plant spacing in both directions and sometimes short rows.
None of my beds are 6" deep they are 8" and 10" and soon to be deeper.

Should I be posting here or stay on the vegetable forum? John

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

Comments (6)

• sb158
    13 years ago

Personally, I like to see you here, John. Miss your posts...and I think you are probably a better fit here than at the conventional vegetable forum, given you do use raised beds and Mel's spacing.

• engineeredgarden
    13 years ago

John - I think you belong wherever the most bloody marys are at. Ha.
    Seriously....you've been fighting with this "raised bed versus square foot garden thing" for a couple of years now...I think you should be classified as an intensive raised bed gardener. There, I hope that helps. Hehe...

EG

• bsntech
    13 years ago

Agree with EG.

"Raised Bed" is what I do as well. I don't go with six inch depth - all of mine are at least a foot deep - or more if I put the raised bed in the yard. I don't use Mel's Mix either - 100% compost from the compost facility.

I have noticed that there isn't a lot that goes on with the Sq Foot forum - not nearly as much in the veggie forum.

However, "Raised Bed" gardening is really the new way to garden in my opinion. I've seen countless articles in our local newspaper highlighting folks who do raised bed gardening. Just with the overall idea, I'd say raised bed gardening falls closer to Sq Foot Gardening than it does conventional row gardening - because you do build up a bed and do concentrated growing in all directions - as opposed to growing directly on the ground in a typical row fashion.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

John you are not the only one. I have square foot raised beds and a square foot non-raised bed, but not all my plants are planted in a square foot grid with square foot spacing I do however Intensive garden. Is that not what this post is all about? No matter I look forward to your posts and knowledge so post away! How about 64 Nantes Carrots to a square foot started in mini-soil blocks Is that square foot gardening? Thanks for the soil block ideas John! 5 Copra onions Dutch multi-planted in the center of a square foot(all in a group touching each other)? Well you get the idea.

Curt#

• lisa33
    13 years ago

I am really glad you posted this. I've been trying to figure out where I fit, too. My new beds are raised, 10-12" deep, made of stacked stone and measure 4'x5'. I don't intend to use physical grids nor would I even know how to do that on stone beds. I also use 100% compost at this point.

I'm hoping I can take ideas from here and adjust them to fit my circumstances.

Lisa

• momstar
    13 years ago

Sounds like there are a lot of us with hybrid growing methods: raised and SF, raised but not SF, not raised but intensive, raised and SF and container. I think you get the point.

Whatever your perferred method, these folks are accepting and understanding types and welcome one and all to the forum.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner