Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Termites in raised bed...

Posted by sanbpate West TN (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 16:53

Hi
I was planting eggplant in my raised bed today and I noticed termites in my bed. Should I be very concerned. This is my first time planting in raised bed. I used untreated pine to build my box. Do I need to do anything I am sorta freaking out....

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Termites in raised bed...

Are you certain they are termites? Could they be flying ants?

Kym

o

I have termites in my bed, too. The funny thing is - I saw an ant carrying one today. Gosh, I love those ants! Ha! My bed is made from cedar, and sure...it worries me a bit.

EG

o

I had termites in my beds. I was sitting on the deck when they all started hatching. Huge swarms of termites getting blown through the air. My termite guy was scheduled for the next day anyway for the yearly termite bond exam so I asked him. He said it wasn't anything to be concerned about but he would let his boss know to see if they wanted to come back out and spray. The next day they came out and sprayed just as a precaution. He said that I didn't need to worry because they weren't in my house and only in the wood by the garden. He said they are all over and we just don't know it. Still makes me nervous.

o

The only time it's a real concern is if your bed is butted up against the house. Otherwise it's not really a concern. They will inhabit almost any non treated wood in contact with the ground and other than spraying chemicals or using chemical impregnated boards can't really be avoided. I figure so long as the wood lasts 5-6 years it's all good and relatively easy to replace when the time comes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here