Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed

Posted by leggs 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 17:45

Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed with MiracleGro Moisture Control Potting Mix for about half the price of the vermiculite/peat moss/compost mix. Would this work? What considerations would I need to keep in mind if I used this method?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed

I bought that Moisture Control deal at Costco to fill all my container gardening pots and it was a nightmare. Everything I grew in it died. It was a constant struggle to keep it wet. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do with a claim like "Moisture Control". I basically had a full time job trying to keep the plants alive that I'd planted in it. At the end of the season, I dumped all the pots and refilled them with different soil the next year. Very frustrating.

o

Ah, shucks. I was hoping that I'd found a cheap alternative to Mel's Mix. Thanks for warning me!

o

That's the stuff in the yellow bags right? I used it in a box last year and was ok, but that box is watered by a drip hose connected to my a/c condensation pipe so it got regular watering every day all day! To be honest though, I did add a bag of vermiculite to it this year because as mentioned above, it does still dry out relatively quickly (as do all soils in sfg).

o

It's the blue bags. It's not the same as the yellow bags. It's got some sort of wetting agent in it or something.

o

My girlfriend grows everything in the costco bags of MGPS, and has good results.

.. even with things that I don't think are a good match for that soil.

I suspect that it comes down to being responsive, and tuning your watering to the soil, rather than demanding that the poor soil respect your watering.

o

MiracleGro Moisture Control has been my go-to potting soil for several years, and I've had great success with it for flowers in containers as well as herbs and lettuces in my raised, square-foot garden bed. FWIW, last summer was fairly wet here in southeastern PA, so I hardly had to water at all. The only "problem" I encountered was that the Dragon Wing Begonias I planted in deck rail boxes got SO big and top-heavy, the boxes toppled off the railings.

o

I bought that same thing from costco for like 10 dollars for 2 cu ft. It is terrible, theres a weird yellow thing that grows on top of the soil after a while and it grows mushrooms like crazy in all my indoor plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here