Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momma_s

One more SFG up and running

momma_s
14 years ago

I'm so excited to finally have a SFG (thank you new baby tax credit), and just wanted to share with y'all... After so easily building my salad table, I was going to build the frame, but decided to let DH do it since he was a little bummed he didn't get to build the salad table... I did the rest (yipeeee).

BEFORE (but after I destroyed the aphid infested roses): http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk83/nonamesleft_momma/gardenweb/sfgpics002.jpg

AFTER (pretty, eh?): http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk83/nonamesleft_momma/gardenweb/sfgpics001.jpg

It's 2'x8', and currently I have the following:

onion,beans,beans,beans,okra,okra,okra,hot pepper

carrots,carrots,carrots,marigolds,broccoli,broc.,broc.,bell pepper

I think it's too late in the season for the onion & broccoli, so if they don't make it, I'm planning on replacing with more carrots and okra.

The next step? Convincing hubby to let me build another 4x4 box on the right side of the yard! HAHAHA

Thanks for taking a look.

Comments (4)

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

I'm impressed! Go for another one!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• kristimama
    14 years ago

What, no tomatoes? LOL

Congratulations! Looks great.

And definitely go for another one. I'm already in negotiations with the hubs on how we can expand our garden next year.

Where can we convert landscaping to food.

And some of my boxes are ginormous planter boxes (made from 2x10s with plywood bottom) and on wheels because I have a big concrete patio and not enough open graound. SO there's another idea, too.

Cheers,
    -k

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

That is definitely a great improvement of the area! Oh...you'll build more...heh.

EG

• momma_s
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kudos, everyone. I've actually gone out and done an impersonation of Tom Hank's character in Castaway where he gets all excited about building fire... "I--I have built a garden!!! Moohahaha!" Just not as fervently as him tho lol.

Kristi~I've been tempted to grow a tomato plant because it seems almost sacrilegious not to do so, but I just don't like tomatoes very much...

Oh, and *thanks* (sarcasm) for the box on wheels idea... Now I'm going to have to build it! I have to really control myself with altering the yard because we're renting right now. The landlady doesn't mind the sfg I built, but I don't want to go too crazy. But portable? Oh, that's sooo up my alley! Realistically thinking tho, I think the next project will be increasing the height of my salad box for the fall/winter growing. The greens that have survived so far are small, and I think it's because on the 3" soil height.

Lovin' the learnin'!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor