Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metta2006

Organic vs non organic seeds?

metta2006
14 years ago

Hi,

I wonder if organic seeds are worth it. I want to grow veggies organically but wonder if it is worth to buy organic seeds, which are more expensive. Would non-organic seeds be contaminated with pesticides? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

It is all about the parent plant as far as I know. Was that plant and it's predessors grown organically? I buy organic whenever available.

• greenbean08_gw
    14 years ago

Some people say the organic seed will grow better organically than conventional seed because the parent plants were grown without chemical "help". I do not know for sure if this is true.

I purchased some organic seed and some conventional seed this year. I am beginning to buy more organics - more of a "speak with your wallet" than any absolute knowledge that there's much difference with the seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

The seeds of non-organic will not be "contaminated" with "pesticides". If you want to feel better you can wash them before planting.

Dan

• heather38
    14 years ago

It would be more important if you are a Organic Farmer, I would guess, in order to be accredited, I have a mix of both organic and non organic seed, mainly cos a lot of stuff I wanted was only available organic? but I am a Brit so maybe I am looking for strange stuff or I have been buying organic for years and not known it?
    I think the important thing is, if you feel comfortable with it? if you are going to be organic how far are you willing to go and the answer I feel lies in the question! you wouldn't have asked if you really want to be 100% organic, so buy the seeds that you want and don't worry, I use as much "natural" stuff as I can but am not adverst to chemicals when I need them, But I really, really have to be pushed to the extreme to do this, as in this year, I have admitted to myself I can live without cauliflower, egg plant and lettice this year all all have been gobbled up!, I will try again in the fall! but now wait!!! today I found a lettice in what I thought was a previously defunked row going strong...Yah!

• heather38
    14 years ago

the row was the first thing I planted out the day before I found Sq foot gardening! I am a convert.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

I would consider why it is you prefer to grow organically. Do you wish to have organic produce to limit your exposure to chemicals? If so, I would not worry about conventional seed. I would question how much chemical could be stored in a seed that would then sprout to become a large plant.

If you prefer organic for the overall health of the earth, then organic seeds may be preferable because the production of the parent plant did not any chemicals to the ecosystem.

On a personal level, I am a mix of 2 but also a person who has to maintain a budget. Many things are not available organic. Also, organic seed is double the cost at the local discounter. Per packet, the extra buck does not make much difference, but when spread over say at least 24 packets, that is $24 I can spend on something else (like gardening gloves which never make it a whole season).

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County