Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygardner

Curly Cukes

gabbygardner
14 years ago

Oh, so cute. Well, they were until they started curling. I am not sure what I am looking at with my baby cucumbers. I have three different varieties, but all seem to have the same issue. Some healthy, some curly. They all look like they are about to sprout some real leaves, but should I be worried about curling first leaves?????

{{gwi:1274029}}

Help!!!

g

Comments (9)

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Wait for the true leaves then take another look.

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

I agree with ribbit. It's common to have the seedling leaves get all gnarly and stuff....

EG

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks-both of you. I figured it couldn't be horrific news, but I have never seen them do this before. They do look really healthy otherwise. There are a couple with a little tiny bit of yellow on the edges, but otherwise the bed looks good. I will stop my worrying!!!

Thanks again,

g

• jengc
    14 years ago

I just wanted to add that I had one sprout from seed inside that did that. It died shortly after. But I did have some out in the garden that turned almost white but they seem ok now.

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input: I will keep a close eye on them. I have several, but I wanted to transplant some for a friend. I would hate to give her duds:>)

I appreciate your experience, thanks!!

g

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

I wouldn't beat yourself up on duds. I started over a dozen inside and to-date not a one has survived outside. Direct sowing for me I guess. Just wanted to mention that to show you can do the right things and they still die. Hehe. Good luck. They do look good.

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

I've never met a cucumber plant that I could transplant. Instant death! Until this year...the soil block maker that John made for me was the answer. Transplanted them with no shock whatsoever!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Hmm, I used the same maker you did, but they keep dying anyway. Maybe mine are more picky. I just direct sowed this morning.

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I direct sowed, and then changed my mind on how many I wanted, so I planted peppers next to them. As the cukes I had planted came up, I moved them over to the other side of the bed, does that make sense. I also gave some away as they came up. I think those are the ones who are curling. Other than that, they are doing okay. I wasn't very careful at first, but they are all still living and it has been a week or more.

Who knows - maybe it's the moon phases when you transplant - just kidding!!

g

Sponsored