Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystabel_gw

A Few Garden Pics & What's Growing

crystabel
14 years ago

Here are a few pics of my garden over the past year.

This one i took just a few minutes ago. I went out to check my son's sunflower & watermelon garden and we had two visitors on the sunflower! Can you see the ladybug just under the butterfly wing?

Is this a box of potatoes and peppers, or dollar weeds?!? Honestly those things are like a plague. I made this box at the last minute out of concrete blocks and I have herbs in the outer small holes - except again for the ones that the dollar weeds took over. Wish those things were good for something!

I think Carolyn mentioned her zucchini looking more like a spider and not needing a trellis. Yep, my summer squash here could have gone somewhere else and I could have utilized this space better. Live and learn!

My first summer squash! Whoohoo. Harvested it last week, another one today, and I see 3 more female flowers on the way.

A square full of celery. Had 4 per square. Already pulled one out and have these 3 left (though I steal a few stalks at random from them :) ).

Cabbage. Something's munching on it, but what??

Spring lettuce, some spinach getting into the pic, and a teeny tiny carrot peeking in.

Ok, that's enough! I need to make a new garden blog site. My old one I let it expire since it was just sitting on a side node of another site that I don't need anymore.

Today I went out and snagged a pea pod and opened it up and ate the peas - oh my gosh! Sweet!!! I will probably never get enough at once to harvest for a meal because I keep snacking on them LOL!

I'm currently growing:

Corn

Sweet Potatoes

Cabbage

Bush Beans (green & lima)

Summer Squash (jackpot, raven & zucchini)

Pumpkin

Potatoes

Peppers

Ithica Lettuce

Tomatoes (early girl and...and...hmmm, something else!)

Cauliflower

Strawberries

Watermelon (sugar baby)

Peas

Pole Beans

Celery

Cukes (two types, one on the trellis, others are bush)

Green Onions

Herbs:

Dill, Sage, Oregano, Spearmint, Thyme, Borage, Cilantro, Savory, and dandelions for the bunny! :)

What's growing in your garden?

Comments (13)

• lowraine
    14 years ago

Beautiful garden, where do you live? My sfg is just a month old. North Carolina

• crystabel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in FL so my gardening time will be ending here very soon. Well, for the things that I really want to plant that is LOL.

• jwstell42
    14 years ago

Everything looks great :)

As for the cabbage, it is most likely the Cabbage Moth, or it's larvae. If you look REALLY close I bet you will find tiny green (same color as the leaf) worms on your cabbage.

The moth who leaves the worms is White, with a black dot on the wing (you can't always see the black dot) - if you see it flying around, that's what you have.

As far as getting rid of it - two options - 1) Row Cover - or 2) BT - BT is completely safe to eat as it's not toxic to humans, but it will kill the worms when the eat it.

Again, beautiful garden and I'm jealous!! It'll be months before any of that stuff is mature in my garden.

• crystabel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, but in months when yours is all lush and green mine will have nothing, except maybe a few sprouts starting for fall. Then I'll be jealous!! :)

• choxie
    14 years ago

Gorgeous.

Where do you have your sunflowers planted. My youngest dd wants a sunflower garden.

I am in NC too and my garden is only 1 month old.

Cannot wait to start picking stuff. I planted mostly everything from seed. here's my list:

- Cherokee Purple tomato
    - Beefsteak tomato
    - Yellow Pear tomato
    - Yellow, Red, Green Bell Peppers
    - Okra (2 kinds)
    - Eggplant (black beauty)
    - Zuchinni
    - Yellow Squash
    - Lettuce (Romaine, Mesclin mix, Bibb, Salad bowl)
    - Green Beans (Bush Blue lake, Italian, Purple kind?)
    - Spinach (2 kind)
    - Broccoli (2 kind)
    - Cantelope
    - Watermelon
    - Cucumbers
    - Snap Peas
    - Garden Peas (Alaska)
    - Green Onions
    - Yellow Onions

I have nt planted but want to:
    -White potatos
    -Red potatoes
    - Carrots (2 kind, one has a red center)
    - Garlic
    - Cabbage

Potatoes I will plant soon, but the rest may have to wait until a fall planting around August/September.

• peel
    14 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful picture of the sunflower!

I love how you utilized the holes in the blocks for herbs. I'm concerned about some of mine spreading further than I want them to go, and your layout would prevent that from happening. I must remember the idea for next year.

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

That sunflower shot IS amazing!

• crystabel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Choxie,
    The sunflowers are planted to the right of the potato patch that is in the cinderblocks. It has 2 sugar baby watermelon and a bunch of sunflowers of different types in it. It's at the north side of the garden. Your list looks great! It will be so fun for you to harvest all of those yummy veggies!

Peel, If you use the blocks make your bed smaller or you won't be able to reach the middle! :)

• peel
    14 years ago

Are you speaking from experience? :D

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

crystabel - that sunflower photo is very good! Also, your zucchini plant is huge!

EG

• daves_girl
    14 years ago

Crystabel I really liked your garden pics. Here are a few pics from my garden:

Corn

From 2009 Garden

Box 1 (tom, bush beans, kohl rabi, lettuce)

From 2009 Garden

Box 1 (broccoli, spinach, bell pepper, nasturtium, marigold, lettuce, tom)

From 2009 Garden

Box 2 (lettuces, bush beans, peas, carrots, onions, radishes)

From 2009 Garden

Cukes

From 2009 Garden

Box 3 (broccoli, carrots, spinach, onions, toms, nasturtium, marigolds)

From 2009 Garden

Marigold just opened this morning

From 2009 Garden

tomato - either the jelly bean or the beefmaster

From 2009 Garden

• crystabel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those are some great pics daves_girl! Love that marigold that just opened :) . Thanks so much for sharing them. I love pics!! And your corn, it looks so healthy, I'm jealous!

Peel - LOL, no my brain was actually working that day that I made that bed and I was able to put 2 & 2 together to realize those things added an extra 8" to each side :) . However, I can be flighty and wouldn't put it past me to mess things up - like using my back wall as one end of my herb garden and now I have to try to reach 3' back to it LOL.

EG - Seriously, can you believe that monstrous plant! And it's still growing. LOL.

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

daves girl - nice pics!

crystabel - they get unbelievably large, and I've got three planted in a 4ft x 6ft area. Should be interesting!

EG

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area