Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dehydrated cow manure?

Posted by nilaa 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 19:03

Can we use dehydrated cow manure in the soil mix for raised bed.

I am planning to build 2 6' by 4' beds. i have got the peat moss, top soil. is it ok to use the compost from community recycle center. when asked they said they are not sure if i can use for a vegetable garden, so i am hesitant to use that compost.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dehydrated cow manure?

Mel's mix does not use top soil. It is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 compost from as many sources as you can find: like mushroom, leaf, worm castings, cow manure. I have used dehydrated and composted cow and can't tell the difference. I would hesitate to use community compost because you don't know if it has been heated enough to destroy plant diseases. The first garden soil you make is expensive, but then you have great soil for the rest of the years.
Keski

o

Dehydrated cow manure is awesome. I used it my first beds and the plants grew wonderfully. I mixed it with one other type of compost, so it was not just manure. Just make sure you don't use fresh stuff, the dehydrated is just fine.

o

Thankyou so much. I will go ahead and buy dehydrated cow manure.
i thought will add some top soil too for the mix since i have got some bags and it takes so much soil mix to fill up the beds.
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here