Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

A trellis for summer squash

jbest123
14 years ago

I was calling my trellis the 'Mother of all trellises" but that was being a little presumptuous. The cyclone fence around the garden was four feet tall and I thought that would be a little small for summer squash. My DW and I love the Butterbush squash and it vines about five or six feet so I wanted to increase the height of the existing fence to six feet high. John

{{gwi:1274367}}

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

Comments (12)

• crystabel
    14 years ago

That is one sturdy looking trellis! Neither of the summer squash that I bought are the vining types - wish I hadn't planted them at my trellis LOL.

• jbest123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dog gone it. The subject should read winter squash.

John

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

John,

I love the trellis! I guess you won't have any anxiousness with that trellis full of squash vines/fruit during a summer storm!!! Great stuff.

OT:

What is the spacing between your boxes? Is that two feet? How does that work out for you...is it tight or does it work nicely? I am considering a different box configuration, but the thing I can't figure out is the spacing between boxes!

• stevesj76
    14 years ago

That's one awesome trellis!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I'm NOT going to keep up with the Joneses...I'm NOT going to keep up with the Joneses...

Dan

• dhomoney
    14 years ago

ROFL on the comments. Great trellis, I'm building mine out of green plastic fencing and electrical conduit.

• markmein
    14 years ago

I think I saw a trellis like that in the movie Jurassic Park...

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

wow! your DW is one lucky woman. That looks like a fence, not a trellis! Very sturdy. I'm gardening in a small space, not SFG really, just trying to make the most of my garden space. I'm planting zucchini, cucumbers, and watermelons, and winter squash. I'm going to need a trellis for some of them, as letting them all just sprawl on the ground isn't an option. Wish my DH would build something like that. Wish he'd participate in garden at all!
    Very funny pdxmark, I actually did laugh out loud.

• jbest123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess it would be considered a hybrid fence, part cyclone and part hog. ;o)
    john

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

The better half not making you paint that is also very impressive.

All my trellises (trellisi?) are painted a lovely wine red that is a compliment to the brick. I also have some conduit holding up wire that constrains my Helianthus maximiliana that got painted the same red.

Dan

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

John,
    That looks great. Could you give us more info on what its made of and how its put together.

Something else to put on my wish list, I can see lots of winter squash, gourds and melons growing up something like that. (I'd like mine painted green)

Good gardening, Mary

• jbest123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

novice_2009, my DW and I have been discussing that for 40 years now and still no agreement. ;o(

dan_staley, personally I like the seasoned looks of a light film of rust plus, painting and I do not get along.

gardener_mary, the details are in my journal.

John

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting