Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean trellis question - how about that second row?

Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 19:58

Following Mel's design in the book I have 2 squares of pole beans, so 8 altogether in two rows - and one set of four strings in the back going up to my conduit support. I planted the back row of beans first and the front row is almost ready to climb. Will they grow up the same strings or should I add four more strings so they have their own? Or will bean vines climb eachother? ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean trellis question - how about that second row?

• Posted by slowjane Los Angeles USDA 10- (My Page) on
    Wed, May 28, 14 at 13:47

well... to answer my own question i suppose ;) i tied another piece of jute across the back square foot demarcation from left to right and tied 8 more strings from it up to the trellis. this way they are on a slight angle and each plant gets its own string. it seems like most people use the netting rather than single string method so maybe in that method you just weave them all right next to eachother, even though some plants are slightly "in front" of the others. just wanted to follow up for the sake of it, and so it won't stay stuck at the top of the forum. ;)

o

I've found the net to be a much easier method than the individual strings, much less effort for sure!

o

• Posted by slowjane Los Angeles USDA 10- (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 14:46

okay good to know! yes the strings can be tricky mostly with the tomatoes - so far the beans and cucumbers have found their strings and really climbed on their own. sometimes i have to untangle when a neighbor gets grabby on someone else's string lol. i guess with net this wouldn't matter - and in face, maybe doesn't matter with strings....we shall see what kind of mess we have later in the summer...;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here