Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting onions question

Posted by randita (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 20:04

I'm new at all this. I bought some onion plants, not sets. They came about 6 to a container and are small scallion size at this point and have long thin tops (about 6" or so). Do you just leave the tops long when you plant the onions, or do you cut them back and if you cut them, how short?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting onions question

You leave them long. Also onions and garlic love lots of nitrogen.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: John's Journal

o

Speaking of nitrogen and onions... I bought dried blood today, and I was wondering how to apply it to the soil (ok, I haven't read the label yet--just shoved it in the shed & out of the rain). Also, when should it be applied to the soil for onions? Mine just sprouted today... They're growing in brand new Mel's mix, so I don't know if that'd change the timing/applications.

o

Oh, I'm bumping this because I want to see the recommendation on applying nitrogen for the onions! I have about 100 sets planted and didn't realize they might need any top dressing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here