Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowraine

Garlic

lowraine
14 years ago

Where do I get garlic from? I purchased a clove from the grocery store, took it apart and planted each individual clove. Was I correct?

Comments (17)

• pvel
    14 years ago

I did the same this year and they are doing all right though I haven't harvested any yet. Next year I may get some by mail order from a garlic farm. You can get more varieties that way. I understand the time to plant garlic is in the fall.
    Paul

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, if they don't do well, I will plant them again in the fall. Thanks Know where I can get some catalogs from? I see a busy winter ahead.

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Getting them from a catalog or nursery will guaranty disease free and spray free seed. We got some a few years ago and just keep recycling it by replanting the smaller heads. Good luck with your store bought, you should be fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's Garden Adventure

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

My friends in E WA state got 8 vars at a charity auction & planted them out.

Dan

• peel
    14 years ago

I got mine online from Fedco and planted them last fall. I got 4 varieties to try, since I was sure some would do better than others. If you check out my blog, you'll see they're all doing marvelously well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gumshoe Gardener

• jwstell42
    14 years ago

I also got mine from Fedco and planted last fall - two varieties. Don't know how they will end up, but I did get 100% germination, so that has to be a good sign!

• carolynp
    14 years ago

I think Granny has successfully grown grocery store garlic. I bought mine from a local farmer. It's doing pretty well, but nowhere near as nicely as peel's! You rock Peel!!

• fanfortony
    14 years ago

I usually plant mine from store bought too. I plant in October and harvest in July.

Sinfonian: You should use your largest garlic for next season. Use your smallest ones to eat. The larger the bulb, the larger the plant. When I pull my cloves apart, I only plant the largest bulbs from it. I eat the tinier ones. (they freeze fine, if your just going to pulverize them anyway)

• peel
    14 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn!!! It's all beginner's luck, I swear! Oh, and obviously some top quality seed garlic!

• peel
    14 years ago

I just wanted to update on where I bought the garlic. This shows you how good my memory is. I went back in my blog and found that I bought two varieties from Fedco and two from Filaree Farms. If you're interested in reading about each of the varieties, I did a lengthy post back when I first planted them.

jbest John, if you're reading this, I updated the latest post to include the varieties from left to right if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gumshoe Gardener - Garlic post

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well garlic is not something I will use because my husband doesn't like it however I can always give it away. My store bought garlic has been in the ground over a week and doing nothing. I think it is not going to happen.

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

Patience, Lowraine...patience ;-)

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok Annie, if you say so I will leave it, I was planning on pulling it up and replacing it with onions.

• peel
    14 years ago

It establishes roots for quite some time before you'll see anything break the surface, so keep that in mind as well.

• lowraine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, patience paid off, the garlic is coming up, it must have heard that I was about to pull it up. Thanks

• anniesgranny
    14 years ago

You're welcome, Lowraine!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

Fanfortony, I heard that about planting the biggest cloves, but have it on well respected authority that it doesn't matter what size you plant, so enjoy the big ones if you like.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio