Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygardner

What is better grass or gravel/rock walkway??

gabbygardner
14 years ago

I would love some opinions!!

My husband is in the process of building me a wonderful new raised bed garden. I will try and put the picture in at the bottom:)

We are torn with what to do with the area around the beds. We will be putting up a small picket fence with an arbor on the right side of the boxes. It will go from the corner of our shop to the side of our yard, behind where I took the picture from. This will separate our backyard from our garden.

So, the question is, do we leave it in grass, or would it be easier and look better with gravel and rock walkways between the beds???

Has anyone had experience with the rock walkway or gravel between the beds? Does it get terribly hot in summer?

I like the grass, it seems cooler. But, my hubby thinks the rock would look better and be much easier to keep up.

We also plan on putting rock on the sides of the beds. That way the wood can eventually rot away, and we will still have our beds, but made of rock!!

I would love to hear what you all think!!

g

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• sinfonian
    14 years ago

What you have looks very nice. Well done! Do you have trouble with weeds there currently, do you mind weed wacking? If so, then gravel paths over landscape fabric may serve you better.

Weeds were my problem so I did the barrier and gravel. I am happy with it. There are pics of it on my blog.

Good luck with your decision. Your garden looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• west_texas_peg
    14 years ago

We have been building raised beds with trellis and I have the same problem with what to do between the beds. My son is wheelchair bound so I know that it is difficult on gravel. I think we will go with concrete but have also thought of putting St. Augustine grass and mowing with a reel type mower catching the grass clippings to use as mulch.

I'm trying to make it as simple as possible because we are in our 60's and I'm looking to the future so gardening will not be as much of a struggle.

Peggy

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can see where the gravel is easier, but ours isn't a weed problem, it is all in lawn grass, so pretty easy to deal with. My kids like to weed eat, so the idea with the mowing and using the mulch is good too.

The reason we started this adventure is because I was in a car accident which left me with a severely broken neck. This makes my getting up and down and bending over very difficult. Peggy, I can see where the wheelchair would be an issue to look at.

My husband found some rock that may solve the problem. It would basically be putting down the gravel, but paving it with large pieces of rock, which could be flattened out really well. I bet a wheelchair would go over it easily. It would be prettier than plain gravel.

I have a hard time facing killing all that lawn. It is so pretty and green. However, the kids won't be here forever to weed whack and mow for me;)

We'll have to hash it out I guess. I am just grateful for a husband who is so great about making these for me. I love gardening and I was so upset at the prospect of not being able to enjoy it any longer. I bet your son feels the same way. Gardening is so therapeutic for me!!

Good Luck, if you decide to pave or gravel I would love to see pictures!!

g

• markmein
    14 years ago

We just had our yard redone with gravel between the raised beds and along the path. The gravel has a base of "3/4 inch minus" crushed gravel with a topping of "1/4 inch minus" crushed gravel. Our landscaper says this treatment is ADA compliant. Each layer of gravel is tamped down so that the 1/4 gravel in top is quite firm. I love not having to spend time mowing that I can now instead spend gardening...

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, that sounds perfect. I will have to tell my husband what you all did. Also there is another post called "Which mulch between planters" that I didn't see before I posted mine that looks great. He used rubber mulch I think. It looks good, but I don't think I want to spend that much quite yet:)

Thanks all,

g

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

I have drainage problems so I'll be putting in a cover crop of clovers in my paths this fall to provide more om and root structure. Right now I have cardboard covered in straw.

Since you already have grass and kids who like to weed eat, I'd say don't spend money on gravel. But if you find it aesthetically pleasing and the cost isn't an issue go for it.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH